Oh to ask "What is it?"

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by keeperofthegood, Nov 24, 2004.

1. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

Well, Let us do a 'archaic ingredient' thread. Things that are no longer mentioned or used.

For example, and to start things off, anyone have any idea what issinglass is? I read it in an old (1870's) cookbook as an ingredient some time back and it just stuck in my head, but I have no idea what it actually is, nor have I seen it mentioned anywhere else in cookbooks after 1900.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Perhaps this:

Issinglass/Fishbladder consist of pure collagen. These are the swim bladder of fishes respectively only from sturgeon. Our fish bladders are cleaned, dried and beached fish bladders. These are put together during the drying and then cut into white leaves.
    Our Isinglass is directly imported from the big sturgeon farms. They are dried in their original condition, lightly yellow and full of high-class collagen.

An increase of the adhesive power is impossible.

Issinglass is also used for the clarification of high-class wines. Also here it is to say, the more the issinglass is a high-quality product, the more you can decrease the dosage.

http://www.hellmann-leim.de/en/3.7_p...usenblase.html

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Issinglass is also used in homebrewing, of beer. It is used as a clarifier as in winemaking. I have never used it, but often see it in brew supply stores.