Oh, the temptations...

Discussion in 'Cookbook Reviews' started by nancya, Oct 27, 2001.

1. nancya

nancya

My new books are here!!!

Wahoo. They look great and I have many winter evenings of interesting cookbook reading ahead of me.

But, they also sent the new catalog and oh the temptations. I just knew this would be a mistake for my budget. :D

It has the Sweet Kitchen which Isa recommended.

Professional Baking -- but I may be judging the book by the cover which appears to be a lovely ganache...

Pudding A to Z looks kind of interesting.

Sweet Miniatures...I remember someone here liked it.

Edible gifts looks kind of cool. I like to give homemade food gifts.

Heavenly Chocolate by Linda Collister looks yummy.

and I've been reading so much Greek cooking on Papa's website that I am considering -

Foods of the Greek Islands [Aglaia Kremezi]

or

The Glorious Foods of Greece [Diane Kochilas]

I guess this is the start of my new wish list. Will happily listen to comments.

2. isa

isa

It's torture every month or so Nancy. All those books just waiting for you.

Don't hesitate, get In The Sweet Kitchen it has a lot more technical information than Professional Baking. You already know how much I love that book so I won't go on and on again. :)

I love making miniature pastries, I find it very zen. As crazy as it sounds it really relaxes me. When I heard about Sweet Miniatures I couldn’t wait to get it. It was such a disappointment. In one recipe, she will go from cups to ounces than to grams. Part of a recipe will be given in grams and the other in ounces. It's hard to follow a recipe when you have to constantly adjust to new measurement.

These last few days, I’ve been giving a lot of thought to miniature and realised that my favourites miniature are based on recipes I shrank myself or simply invented.

3. nancya

nancya

Thank you for your insights...as usual, you are much help.

Of the books I have received so far, I think I am liking The Professional Chef best. It is, however, also the one I have read the most of, so the others may get top billing later. I am enjoying the theory and seeing cooking through different eyes. I must admit to a fit of giggling when I read how to boil potatoes, however.

I was at first disappointed in the 12 seasons. Many of the recipes have ingredients which it will be simply impossible to find here. However, as I read more and began to understand Portale's ideas, I liked it more and more. One thing I learned from our friend Emeril is how to substitute. Most of the time I treat recipes as jumping off points rather than destinations anyway.

I have dreamed of having a little coffee shop that also happened to sell cookbooks and gardening books and hand thrown pottery coffee mugs. Anyone want to finance me?

4. zorba the greek

zorba the greek

Dear Nancy,

If I was forced to choose one of the two books you mentioned about Greek cooking I would definetely choose Aglaia Kremezi's book.

She knows about Greek cuisine and her recipes are relatively to other books correct.

This was a personal opinion of course.

5. isa

isa

I'm so glad you're enjoying your new books and can't wait to hear more about them!

6. nancya

nancya

Thanks for the input Zorba. Tell me, it you weren't forced to choose between those two books, what would you get?

7. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Both of them propose "Kitchen for Tourists" and not for normal people...
    Very insulting for the Greek Cuisine.
    I wonder for how long journalists would think that they have the right to write books on everything...

8. zorba the greek

zorba the greek

I think that I will agree on that with Athenaeus.
    That's why I said that I would choose one only if I was forced to.
    There is another one that Athenaeus or Papa must be well aware of that has to do with Greek Kitchen and Olive Oil.
    I saw it in a bookstore in my last visit to Athens.
    A Cretan is the writer because I remember that his name was an -akis like!
    Any ideas guys?

9. w.debord

w.debord

Isa, do you own 'Sweet Miniatures' by Flo Braker? It the best all mini. pastry books I've seen. I've made a couple items.....sometimes it's a bit more complicated reading then the reality but all and all it's a pretty solid book. Her viennese triangles are on my list of regular recipes, I adore them!

10. isa

isa

Sorry Nancy, it didn’t come out as intended. I was putting finishing touch to the post when my computer crashed. Didn’t think it would post the unfinished message.

Yes I do own Sweet Miniatures, you’ll find my comments on the book a few post above. I don’t understand how such a problem could be missed. Maybe I’m just making a big deal for not much. Guess the important is that the recipes works.

I made a few recipes, used a few as part of my miniature desserts last Christmas. I know I made the Dutch Chocolate Minicakes and the pistachio buttons without the apricots.

What recipes have you tried?

11. nancya

nancya

Thanks for the input Atheneaus and Zorba. That's what I'm asking. If those aren't good books about Greek cooking, what are some good ones I might check out?

12. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Nancy
    I will check on that because I have in mind some cookbooks that worth to owe but I don't know if they are available in the on line bookstores.
    The one Zorbas is mentioning it must be Nikos and Maria Psyllakis, the Civilization of Olive OIl.
    Excellent book, I mean EXCELLENT because in there you can find anything you want to know about Olive OIl and it contains 200 different recipes all of them very tastefull and healthy!

:)