Offered a position in corporate. Darden group

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by shootoo, Dec 15, 2012.

1. shootoo

shootoo

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    They put up a new place in my area and have been hitting the city hard for good people... I've been looking at openings and networking with suppliers, other industry workers, ect for a better place to work once my chef takes his position as a private chef for a software company next month

I got an email from them today that says they have 2 openings for spots I may be interested in. My chef and I had a chat and he says stability and benefits out weigh the possibility of them not being able to match my current pay, which may not even be the case

Can I get some input? I'm really torn on what I should do here

2. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I'm guessing this is for Longhorn? If so, I know a few people that just left my place for them. I could ask them what they think, so far, and get back to you. Personally, if it was for one of their other "restaurants"... I'd pass. 

3. shootoo

shootoo

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Let's just say I'm definitely not torn between my current place or Olive Garden/Red Lobster

4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Darden as a whole is ok as fr as typical corporate , they would score about a 6 , but their Olive Garden is in big trouble and Red Lobster not that much better. They don't pay much and want your blood. In fact they are in process or trying at least to make all their employees part time in order to dodge the new medical laws. Longhorn is one of the better concepts. Red lobster is just seafood fast food as far as iI am concerned. Olive is a tad better.

5. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Is this for Corporate office or going to work for a Corporation?

6. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Input on what exactly? You haven't told us what position or even if you are being offered a decent salary. Darden has some nice concepts including Bahama Breeze and the Capitale Grille. If this is a corporate position as an Exec it might be a good opportunity. If this is for a Kitchen Manager or Working Chef it wouldn't appeal to me unless it's for a very specific unit like the Chicago Capital Grille with a competitive salary and solid benefits. If this is for any hourly position surely you can do better than a chain.

Dave

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012