Offensive sandwich name?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by kuan, Oct 20, 2005.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I recently saw a Dago Sandwich on a menu. It's an "Italian American" kinda place so take it with a grain of salt. Do any of you think the name is offensive?

2. dano1

dano1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    offensive? I'm a frog who grew up with mostly dagos, slavs, croats and a splattering of serbs. The next town over was called tortilla flats. Married an oriental and my daughters' a halfbreed. Never even crossed my mind :).

Theres actually a small winery in town(italian founded and owned for generations) that puts out a Dago Red in gallon jugs-good stuff.

No offense meant here, just my perspective. Names and labels don't mean very much to me-guess i'm not very pc.

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Well I don't know. I figured it might be offensive to someone. Who knows, doesn't hurt to ask.

4. markv

markv

There was a recent post in this forum that was similar to these issues. Jim, our more than able moderator stated:

"On day one, this topic made me as nervous as a long-tailed cat in room full of rocking chairs."

I think Jim is very wise and we should heed his concerns.

Mark

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Personally, I don't find it very offensive, though I could see some people taking offense at it. I think the term has kind of lost it's sting in recent years, kind of like using the words limey, frog or even redneck. They may be derogatory terms, but have very little meaning or impact nowadays. Also seems to be part of that whole culture where it's ok for the ethnic group to use that word among themselves, but no one else can.

6. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, Mark, thank you for your confidence in my insight.
    That said, I can imagine the backlash from this name. While I am sure the intent is harmless, it is not the intent in which we measure actions, rather the outcome. One person's perception is, in fact, their reality.
    So, would I put that name on my menu? No, I would not.

7. nowiamone

nowiamone

I'm italian, grew up in a very international world (farmer's public market) ethnic nick names were part of the culture. I think the only ones offended were a social climber wanna'be wasp type of personalty. The rest of us enjoyed it. I now live amongst a high eskimo/amer. indian population. When asked my nationality; my answer is "wop-aho" They love it.

8. redace1960

redace1960

another vote for jim. and applause for his adroit handling of the last debacle.

9. auntdot

auntdot

I grew up on the streets of Brooklyn many years ago.

My neighborhood was half Italian, half Jewish, half Irish, and a scattering of the rest of us.

If that doesn't add up, it was a very crowded neighborhood. :smiles:

I cannot honestly remember anyone using a racial epithet.

Everyone respected each others background. And we knew we had to get along.

I have thought of this often during the years, and find it was remarkable.

But it is the way it should be.

As for the sandwich, I find the name unsettling and ill advised.

If people want to make fun of their own ethnicity, fine, but I think this just goes a bit beyond the pale, although I am sure it was not meant to.

Have seen a lot of clever names for food, but I think someone with a few minutes thought could come up with something a bit less offensive.

Just my two cents.