Off the beaten path in New York City

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by ticklemypalate, Nov 9, 2011.

1. ticklemypalate

We recently took a trip to New York City and were looking for off-the-beaten-path foods that were delicious and not overwhelmingly expensive. So we read about the Queens Midnight Street Crawl in the WSJ and decided to try it out. One of the things I love about dining with locals in an area is that they know the purveyors, and you get customized recommendations that are oftentimes off the menu. This case was no exception.

Even though we were in New York, it seemed like we crossed cultures and traveled to a dozen different countries. From horchata to plantain yoara to goat tacos to huitlacoche, everyone in the group got to try at least a few things they never had before. I had Tibetan food or Ecuadorian food for the very first time, and it was a great experience. Even though New York City is one of the most diverse cities in the world, it’s also one of the most insular cities because all the different cultures tend to live in distinct neighborhoods. It was a really great experience to see all these cultures converging and brought together by the common language of food.

To be able to connect with so many different types of people, it takes a certain level of trust, compassion, and leap of faith. Jeffrey is truly appreciative about the nuances of culture and how people express themselves, which really shows through in the level of affection that the purveyors have for him. Highly recommend this to anyone traveling to New York or anyone that lives there already.
  2. margcata

margcata Banned

NYC is particularly famed for its foreign restaurants and street festivals ... and if one crosses the East 59th St. Bridge, there is a wealth of worthy neighborhoods to explore, for example, the awesome zone, The Greektown in Astorias, Queens. 

Elmhurst is predominately an Ecuatorian barrio and Jackson Heights, Colombian which is highly prized for their " arepas " sort of a pancake crepe with a variety of fillings.

Sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing your epicurean escape to Queens.