Chef Forum banner

Of Royal Icing And Food Colouring

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  lynne 
#1 ·
I'm having problems colouring my royal icing. I'd love to get Christmas red and dark green but I'm not having much success. All I got is some dark ugly pinkish colour and a green that has nothing in common with a Chrsitmas tree. What's the secret??

Thanks!

#3 ·
Cchiu,

I'm using paste colour. I have Chefmaster's red red paste. The green colours I have are kelly green and leaf green. Both are made by Wilton.

#4 ·
Try using the paste colours and blending them for more intense colours.(You may want to try adding powder colours to the royal icing.) example: red, tulip red and christmas red with a little brown, same with the green, add a little brown to darken. start with a small amount, see if you get the results you want. sometimes I will use cocoa powder to darken. you just have to use a lot and remember, colours can taste pretty nasty.

#5 ·
Thanks M Brown. I'll try to get more reds tomorrow. I know Wilton makes a "no taste red" would you recommend it? I am not sure I can get powdered colours though.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone, found some red food colouring in powder, worked like a charm, it made a wonderful shade of red. Now if I could only find green and blue in powder I'd be really happy.

#10 ·
Sisi,

I've found powdered colours at places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. The large crafting stores. Also, the local specialty cake supply places have them. If you're in doubt of where to find them, check with a local cake decorator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.