Odd recipe instruction

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by teamfat, Aug 20, 2017.

1. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    SO I see this in a recipe involving sous vide beef:
    • Remove the beef from the bag and pat it dry. Reserve the juice from the bag. The meat should be completely fall apart tender. Using two forks you can pull the beef apart. Toss the beef in the juice you saved from the bag.
    So you pat the beef dry to remove the juice from it, then you put it in the juice.

I see.

mjb.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Could that be to keep it from slipping on the cutting board while shredding?

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Could it be so that you have full control of how much jus you serve and how it is precisely drizzled over the beef for presentation?

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When you were patting the beef did you be sure to say "Good beef! Good boy. Sit. Stay." Positive reinforcement is very important. :~)

butzy, kevin oliver, teamfat and 2 others like this.
  5. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Weird fetish?

6. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    if serving with the juice, allows you chance to taste juice and adjust seasoning. if meat is really fall apart tender, i use my hands to shread. something primal about that.

7. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I would put it all in a dish and shred it. Then season if necessary.

8. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    We'll see if it is fall apart tender. A 3 pound hunk of beef chuck, seasoned and smoked for 3 hours last night at 225 F, then into a 160 F sous vide bath for what will be about 18 - 19 hours, depending on when my wife gets home for dinner.

mjb.

9. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The meat comes out of the Sous Vide looking like a wet piece of beef that has no browning. I dry it off and season it to finish. The finish is more for appearance than anything else. I don't use the liquid from the meat. I don't like the way it look or smells. I would rather use a beef stock to start an Au Jus or gravy.

10. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    smoke_sous_chuck.jpg
    Given that this piece was smoked for 3 hours, the juice has a nice flavor to it. so it all went into the dish, and it is fall apart tender. These are going to be some good tacos tonight.

mjb.

11. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I put in a three lb piece of chuck this morning, trying 140 for 24 hrs. First experiment with sv.

12. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yes... that looks like GREAT taco material!

But I'm just a bit confused... that's not what was being sous vide cooked in the initial posting of this thread, is it?

13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yes, the pat dry and then put in sauce line came from one of the recipes I found for soked sous vide beef chuck.

mjb.

14. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    It is indeed a puzzling instruction. Or maybe it's just to make the pulling a tad less messy?

Maybe try to ask the author of the recipe directly? (wonder if they would answer) https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-smoked-chuck-roast-tacos