Chef Forum banner

Octopus ??

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  chefross 
#1 ·
I enjoy eating octopus does anyone have some good instruction, how to make tender Octopus. I have boiled it and steamed it, I have had decent results, but I have noticed when I have eaten at restaurants it more tender. I was thinking possibly to pressure-cook it but don't know how to Gage time ? Any ideas are welcome.

#5 ·
Pretty much the same rule as squid - 1 minute, or 1 hour nothing in between. I put mine in a dry pot and let it go low and slow. You will be amazed at how much liquid it gives off. Test with a knife point and if tender you're good to go. The liquid can be used to make a dipping sauce as well, or frozen for a fumet.

#6 ·
Many preparations can be used. Sous vide always is a great way. Braising with minimal liquid can be used as the ocotpus will release much. I prefer grilling mine after cooked so the best method I found was removing the head and make a court bouillon, pot of water with aromatics, etc. Depending on your flavor profile you can take your route or experiment. Water, lemons, oranges, onions, parsley, peppercorns, etc work well. Bring to boil then turn down. Water should barely simmer if that when octopus is in. Like a poach. 2.5 3 hours depending on size. Should feel nice and tender. Cool down in olive oil with aromatics or just cool down either way. Then on ripping hot grill to heat up and char. Always turns out crisp and tender

#7 ·
Yeah I find the head takes longer to tenderize than the tentacles, but the flavor is there. It used to be $4.99/lb around here, but jumped up to $8.50/lb and never came down. I mean it's the same frozen product so I inquired and the counter guy has no clue, but when they have it it goes.

#8 ·
we cook it at low heat for about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size. turn off heat but let it cool down in it's water for about 10-15 minutes more. then we take it out of water and let it rest until relatively cool. there's a legend that throwing a wine bottle cork helps to tenderise but im not really sure how that can be true, so it remains a legend. i like to marinate the octopus in some garlicky lemon juice and grill it with very little oil if at all. preferably you add the olive oil towards the end of grilling session. coarse salt is preferable to fine salt. season according to your cooking style.

#9 ·
I worked for a Greek owned banquet house and made "Pulpo" a lot. That myth about the cork is just that, but you'll never convince an elderly Greek cook that, but then again they smack the octopus body on a rock or counter repeatedly for like ah 10 minutes or so, before placing it in a pot with 5-6 corks and water.
I was also taught to never remove the tentacles. We marinated in balsamic vinegar then grilled over hot flames. Reduced the vinegar to a tar and drizzled it over the tentacles before service. I could never make enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.