Octopus, oh no!!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Jun 22, 2012.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm braising 2 octopus for tonight's tapas dinner.  I got fresh octopus as opposed to frozen.  I couldn't remember whether or not to lop off the heads and so I didn't.  After braising for a minute or 2 one of the heads exploded and out came this green goop.  I quickly took the other one out and cut off the head.  It's continuing to cook, goop and all but I can't remember, is this goop good or bad?  Please don't tell me that I have to throw out the whole dish!

2. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It's been a while since I had to do my own... All I remember is turning his head inside out, washing it REALLY good and taking a baseball bat to him... Hmmmmmm... Sounds like a great frustration killer!;)

3. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    I agree with K-girl that thorough rinsing is needed, as I have cooked many octopi after a good rinse and never had that problem.  I don't know if you ruined it, but I would probably just wash now and use new liquid and pan since it was only a minute or two?  but that's just me and a guess.  Good luck.

4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Wont hurt anybody. as it cooks green should change color. Usually darker but in a brown like color.

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    But what is it?  The salad came out really really good, although a bit fishy.  I'm wondering if it was the green goop.  Was that octopus brains?

6. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    LQTM

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gif

7. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Must be, when I've bought fresh Octopus the head was always empty and ink sack and beak removed.

8. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Dont really know how big brain is but yes it could contain brain matter.