October Challenge: Savory Pumpkins and Winter Squash

Joined Sep 8, 2015
Cinnamon Twist Challah French toast stuffed with Pumpkin Spice Mascarpone Mousse and finished with Blackberry Cassis Caramel. Added some Belgian pearl sugar to the filling, because why not? Who doesn't like little crunchy bits of sugary goodness?
That looks incredible. One vote for little crunchy bits of sugary goodness.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Sous vide pork chops finished in a hot pan, sauteed mushrooms and a savory butternut risotto with roasted garlic. I cubed, oiled, seasoned then roasted a butternut squash pulling what I needed for the risotto half way through. I wanted it to finish with the rice. It turned out delicious and will def make again.

IMG_20191019_184318.jpg

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I haven't gotten around making anything.
The weather is not really helping. We are hitting the 40-44 oC till the end of the month..... (100-110 F for the metrically challenged).
The butternut is just there staring at me.....

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I did a twist on Carbonara last night - after rendering my lardon I deglazed the pan with butternut squash, shaved garlic, parsley and peperoncino along with some pasta water. After tempering my egg/cheese mix I added pasta then "sauce" to the pan to combine. The result was very tasty remarkably different than usual with a nutty sweetness that was cut by the garlic. I'll make this any day.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
I bought a 4.5lb piece of pork shoulder the other day with the intention of making sausage, but time does not allow i. As an alternative I made a rub of salt, pepper, cumin, brown sugar, and smoked paprika. The herb was dried rosemary, thyme, parsley, ground ginger and five spice. This went into a slow cooker with a half can of unseasoned pumpkin puree and a bottle of Mexican root beer (real sugar no hfcs). Started about 3:30 this afternoon and smells delicious already. Ought to make for some interesting dreams tonight - LOL.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
So finally got around to doing my Oktoberfest Pork and Pumpkin plate.

The Players

Got a ghost pumpkin which looks like a pumpkin, but white instead of orange. And a 6 pound hunk of pork shoulder.

20191021_230112.jpg 20191023_020910.jpg

The procedure

First the pumpkin was cut in half, pulp removed and roasted until soft.

20191022_003009.jpg

The flesh was scraped out and given a ride in a food processor until smooth. A slab of the pork was sliced off and reserved. About 2 pounds of the meat was cut off the bone in big cubes, then ground through a 1/4 inch plate. Half of that went through again. It got seasoned with the usual bratwurst spices, like mace and marjoram. 8 ounces of the pumpkin puree was added to the 2 pounds of ground pork and mixed well.

20191023_035443.jpg

I put the mix in a sealed container and stashed in the fridge overnight. Dug out my sausage casings. Drat.

20191023_022553.jpg

Somehow they got wet and moldy. And I didn't need to open the package to get an idea of the aroma. Shucks. I probably could have gotten some new casings from Beltex Meats a block down the street, but they aren't open in the middle of the night. I work my job from 10 pm to 6 am, so on my days off I am usually cooking at those hours. Sometimes not the most convenient situation. So I wrapped about 8 ounces of the sausage mix in plastic wrap, then in foil to make a normal sized "link"

20191028_013314.jpg

Put it in a sealable plastic bag, sous vide at 140 for a bit over an hour.

Meanwhile I pounded out that reserved slab of pork,, while I had some red cabbage braising with bacon, red onion, red wine vinegar, chicken stock,
salt, pepper and a few caraway seeds.

20191028_040227.jpg

The pork schnitzel was dusted with flour, dipped in egg and coated with bread crumbs. The bratwurst was pulled out of the sous vide bath and set out to dry a bit. Then it was browned in a small skillet in butter and oil. Then the schnitzel was browned in the same skillet. While it was cooking got the stuff out for the cream sauce.

20191028_050741.jpg

Schnitzel out of the pan to rest, about a quarter cup of the pumpkin puree went into the skillet, along with about a teaspoon of flour. After a couple of minutes added the cream and the two paprikas. Let it boil a bit until a nice consistency. Time to eat!

The Product

Bratwurst plated with a smear of grainy brown mustard, schnitzel with the paprika pumpkin sauce and some of the red cabbage. I thought about trying to do some spaetzle with some pumpkin in the dough, but decided I was going to have enough on the plate.

20191028_051822.jpg

That sauce turned out quite nice, I like the blend of smoked and hot paprikas. The pork could have been pounded a bit thinner. The bratwurst had a nice flavor, the pumpkin was a nice undertone to the usual brat flavor. The texture was a bit odd, a little too soft, but not unpleasantly so. All in all a nice blending of pork and pumpkin.

mjb.

Attachments

Joined Apr 18, 2016
Lol. There was pumpkin in my pumpkin spice. I roasted and pureed a pie pumpkin with 5 spice, oil, vinegar, water, brown sugar, and some of the leftover ginger spice simple syrup I had from my poached pears. The dressing was thick enough that there were no issues holding the spice in suspension.

I used the same simple syrup for the pepitas. reduced it, hit it with coconut milk, added the pepitas, and agitated it quite a bit to get the sugar to crystalize. finished them in the oven at around 275, stirring several times, for about 15 min to finish the process.
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I haven't gotten around making anything.
The weather is not really helping. We are hitting the 40-44 oC till the end of the month..... (100-110 F for the metrically challenged).
The butternut is just there staring at me.....
Show that squash who's boss! Maybe instead of a hearty warming dish you come up with something fresher and better for hot(!) weather the rest of us wouldn't. I hope you have air conditioning! :eek:

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Finally I’m getting in on the game. This is an easy dish, perfect for a weeknight dinner. Tagliatelle with rosemary scented burnt butter and butternut squash cream.

I started by sweating an onion in 6 tbsp of butter, and then allowing the butter to brown.
3F3F6E2A-6F41-4B09-9B73-783CCA44B063.jpeg

Once it was brown I added the butternut squash, chicken stock, and rosemary and allowed it to cook slowly for 45 minutes.
D113B95B-47A7-4D56-9BC9-998099133065.jpeg

I puréed the squash and stirred in some heavy cream and a bunch of parmesan
BD177FD9-AB79-4F3F-B7BA-D8CDC63E79E9.jpeg

In case anyone is wondering, Jovial is the best brand of gluten free pasta I have found. I cooked up the noodles and tossed them with the sauce.
06B4D43E-2094-489F-BBBC-ADA95A6E7E6E.jpeg 8D38B753-93E4-4527-9607-BD0CADC5F729.jpeg
This dish was very very rich. When I make this again I will add garlic to it and some chili too. But we enjoyed it so much. I found the recipe on tastespotting and adapted it. https://anisasabet.com.au/2016/04/rosemary-fettuccine-burnt-butter-butternut-squash-cream/

Joined Jul 13, 2012
koukouvagia koukouvagia that looks really good.

On another note - my pulled pork project had an interesting finish. Once I let the liquid separate in a bowl in the ice box I skimmed the fat off and found the root beer and jus had separated from the pumpkin. The liquid was delicious, but the pumpkin was spent having given all its flavor up to the mix. The pork is delicious and while it was cooking you could smell the pumpkin and root beer combining with the pig meat juices.

Joined Apr 18, 2016
I hope y'all enjoyed this challenge as much as I did. It was SO HARD to pick a winner. Time was nonexistent these last few weeks, and I didn't get around to trying some of the recipes I really wanted to make to have an actual tasting part of the challenge. Sorry everyone.

So I thought, there has to be a recipe that I cannot pass up, that is accessible to someone up against their grad school application deadline and midterms at the same damn time, that tastes (hopefully) like squash. There were, unfortunately AND fortunately, several recipes that fit, but one had all the cozy, orange comfort I need right now.

Congratulations koukouvagia koukouvagia ! I love every word in "Tagliatelle with rosemary scented burnt butter and butternut squash cream" and my burnt brain even feels like crawling out of it's cave to try this. Hey, it was the Halloween challenge; I had to say something scary!

Finally I’m getting in on the game. This is an easy dish, perfect for a weeknight dinner. Tagliatelle with rosemary scented burnt butter and butternut squash cream.

I started by sweating an onion in 6 tbsp of butter, and then allowing the butter to brown.
View attachment 66968

Once it was brown I added the butternut squash, chicken stock, and rosemary and allowed it to cook slowly for 45 minutes.
View attachment 66969

I puréed the squash and stirred in some heavy cream and a bunch of parmesan
View attachment 66970

In case anyone is wondering, Jovial is the best brand of gluten free pasta I have found. I cooked up the noodles and tossed them with the sauce.
View attachment 66971View attachment 66972
This dish was very very rich. When I make this again I will add garlic to it and some chili too. But we enjoyed it so much. I found the recipe on tastespotting and adapted it. https://anisasabet.com.au/2016/04/rosemary-fettuccine-burnt-butter-butternut-squash-cream/
Thanks so much to everyone who participated! It was so fun, and there were so many good looking recipes.

Joined Nov 10, 2017
My solitary and rather late entry...

Squid Ink Open Raviolo with Devilled Crab filling and Ghost Pumpkin Velouté (spot the spider):

View attachment 66976

View attachment 66975
you would have had my vote for the win. I think this dish Iooks absolutely stunning. you do such and excellent job with all of your presentation and photography. what is the red sauce?

Joined May 28, 2015
you would have had my vote for the win. I think this dish Iooks absolutely stunning. you do such and excellent job with all of your presentation and photography. what is the red sauce?
Thank you. The red sauce is beetroot juice which I infused with Scotch bonnet chilli, simmering slowly. Then I thickened with xanthum gum. Gloopy!

Joined May 28, 2015
Oh man, not gonna lie, the Squid Ink and Ghost Pumpkin was right up there. I'm super curious about the recipe.
Its probably not as good as it should be. I can do much better pasta. The Ghost pumpkin velouté was good. I happened to get a white pumpkin which tasted OK. Most are grown for their value as doorstep decorations. This one was sweet. Here is the recipe for the velouté:

100g pumpkin chopped into 1 cm pieces
20g butter
20g flour
200ml chicken stock

Melt the butter in saucepan or frying pan and add the chopped pumpkin.
Cook very slowly until the pumpkin is completely softened. Do not allow to colour.
Stir in the four and cook gently for several minutes.
Gradually add the stock, stirring as you go and mashing down the pumpkin.
Cook the sauce gently for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste
Pass the sauce through a very fine sieve to remove fibres. The result should be silky smooth.

The Ghost pumpkin:

fullsizeoutput_5451.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom