October Challenge: Savory Pumpkins and Winter Squash

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
It includes pumpkin only sideways via the seeds so may not count. I made a salad based on an idea from Mourad: New Morrocan in the dance of seven salads chapter.

It's a salad of beets, avocado and pumpkin seeds. It caught my eye because those are three of my daughters favorite ingredients. The original dish is more involved and I wanted to simplify the idea. If it is ruled to count I'll take a picture as I have extra ingredients still. This is the source idea. I went simpler and not sweet.

2019-09-24 18.01.28.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
Sorry Mike, I was just pulling your leg!
I have found butternut.

We just have to deal with a very irregular supply of a lot of things, but it is better than in a lot of places on this continent. And since everyone knows this, it's not a train smash if we would run out. Hardly ever happens as I look quite well after our stock, but it happens at times.
And we can get Asian foods, but a limited assortment, and only in the Capital. And basically Chinese. Luckily for me, there is an Oriental shop with Thai products. Some of which will be used in this challenge.
One good thing about limited resources: You learn all the substitutes, and have to learn to make some things (like pastes, spice mixtures etc) by yourself...

Joined Sep 8, 2015
IMG_3081.jpg

Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

I halved a small spaghetti squash, seasoned it with salt and pepper and brushed the interior with olive oil. I then roasted it until very soft and scooped out the flesh except 1/4" around the perimeter. I mixed the flesh with mozzarella and parmesan cheese, parsley, and garlic powder. and formed it around the shell leaving the center hollow. I then filled the hollow with Mrs. Hank's homemade Italian sausage and the sauce it was cooked in. Finally I topped with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and baked until hot, finishing under the broiler.

IMG_0625.JPG IMG_0626.JPG IMG_0629.JPG IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_3066.jpg

Joined Nov 10, 2017
Maple Dijon Pork Tenderloin.jpg Don't know if this counts. Made this last week. Butternut squash is not the star, but it is in there.

Cider Brined Pork Tenderloin with Maple Dijon Crust and Apple Jus Lie, served on a bed of Farro Pilaf with Roasted Butternut Squash, Beets, Zante Currants, and Kale.

Joined Apr 18, 2016
It includes pumpkin only sideways via the seeds so may not count. I made a salad based on an idea from Mourad: New Morrocan in the dance of seven salads chapter.

It's a salad of beets, avocado and pumpkin seeds. It caught my eye because those are three of my daughters favorite ingredients. The original dish is more involved and I wanted to simplify the idea. If it is ruled to count I'll take a picture as I have extra ingredients still. This is the source idea. I went simpler and not sweet.

View attachment 66907
I intentionally included seeds in the (admittedly unclear) instructions. You're good!

View attachment 66911

Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

I halved a small spaghetti squash, seasoned it with salt and pepper and brushed the interior with olive oil. I then roasted it until very soft and scooped out the flesh except 1/4" around the perimeter. I mixed the flesh with mozzarella and parmesan cheese, parsley, and garlic powder. and formed it around the shell leaving the center hollow. I then filled the hollow with Mrs. Hank's homemade Italian sausage and the sauce it was cooked in. Finally I topped with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and baked until hot, finishing under the broiler.

View attachment 66912 View attachment 66913 View attachment 66914 View attachment 66915

View attachment 66910
Oh boy, I don't like spaghetti squash, but I will try this this week!

Just made this today for a lunch special. Maple Bourbon Butternut Pulled Pork with Apple Jicama Slaw on a pretzel roll.View attachment 66916
View attachment 66917 Don't know if this counts. Made this last week. Butternut squash is not the star, but it is in there.

Cider Brined Pork Tenderloin with Maple Dijon Crust and Apple Jus Lie, served on a bed of Farro Pilaf with Roasted Butternut Squash, Beets, Zante Currants, and Kale.
Ahem...

WHAT. MAPLE BOURBON BUTTERNUT PULLED PORK.

Pack it up, folks, let's go to C ChefBryan 's house.

JK the challenge is still on. Is this an entry or just for fun? Either or both is fine, and I respect your cheffy secrets, but we need a general recipe for that pulled pork. (I need it in my belly)

Joined Nov 10, 2017
I intentionally included seeds in the (admittedly unclear) instructions. You're good!

Ahem...

JK the challenge is still on. Is this an entry or just for fun? Either or both is fine, and I respect your cheffy secrets, but we need a general recipe for that pulled pork. (I need it in my belly)
idk. could be either. I don't really care much about winning the challenge so I guess lets just call it for fun. That being said, I still don't have an issue sharing the recipe, or at least the basic premise. I am usually very diligent about documenting my specials, but for this one I was behind the 8 ball with everything I had going on, so I didn't write down any amounts for any ingredients. I can tell you this:

I started with 70 lbs of bone in pork butts. I scored them diagonally in two directions all the way around, and then rubbed them with a mix of cumin, coriander, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cinnamon, couple packets of brown sugar bourbon marinade mix from McCormick, lawrys, and brown sugar. I wrapped them all individually and let them dry brine for about 36 hours. Put 2 butts in a 4 in deep pan for a total of 4 pans, double wrapped with plastic and foil, popped them in the oven at 325 for about 30 min before transferring them to my alto shaam to finish at 300 for about 6 or 8 hours.
While they were cooking I took 30# of butternut squash that I got from a local organic farm, split and seeded them, scored the inside, rubbed with oil, brown sugar, and kosher salt, and roasted at 375 for probably about 30 - 45 min. Chilled them, scooped them out, and cooked them down with 1 bottle of jim beam maple bourbon, a pint of maple syrup, soy sauce, roasted veg base, and maybe a little brown sugar and maple extract. Hit it with the stick blender and then when the pork was ready I hit it with the potato masher to break it up, poured the sauce over, and cooked at at 375 for about an hour, uncovered, to reduce and caramelize the sauce.

slaw was easy, shredded jicama, granny smith apples, red and green cabbage. made an apple cider gastrique, drizzled it into some mayo, and let it set with the veg over night. It was a bit too sweet for my liking, didn't really cut the richness of the pork, so in the morning I drained it and just hit it with straight apple cider vinegar. came out great, nice bite to offset the pork.

Joined Nov 10, 2017

Ahem...

Pork tenderloin was as follows. Made a basic brine, but with apple juice instead of water. garlic cloves, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and some thyme. 1/4c kosher salt and brown sugar per qt of liquid. brined overnight, drained and dried. mixed up some Dijon mustard with mayo, maple syrup, and brown sugar. rubbed it on the tenderloin, roasted at 350 I believe. Half way through I re-glazed. took about 30 min to reach 145.

For the pilaf I peeled, diced and roasted butternut squash from the same local farm. roasted, peeled, and diced beets. julliened and blanched some kale. Toasted the farro, then cooked it like pasta in some roasted veg broth. chilled it all, mixed along with the currants, and reheated in the steamer for service.

Apple jus lie, I cheated, used some apple juice concentrate with chicken stock, hit it with a touch of cornstarch, season and serve.

Joined Nov 10, 2017
I will be making a spinach salad with a pumpkin spice vinaigrette, granny smith apples, dried cranberries, smoked gouda, and candied pepitas on Monday.

Joined Nov 10, 2017
I will definitely try to get more pics of my breakfast special for Thursday as well. I'm going to make some cinnamon swirl challah, dip it in pumpkin custard, and make a stuffed French toast with Cinnamon whip cream and a blackberry cassis caramel...

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
My family nixed this experiment.

Perhaps someone else will try it out.

Joined Jan 8, 2006
Seminole Pumpkins were in use by Native Americans when the Spanish first showed up. My son grows them here in North Florida. I came up with a soup recipe that used them. I don't seem to be able to post a picture of the pumpkin or soup, as Imgur apparently has become agitated with me for not upgrading or something.
Pumpkin Soup
Cream of Seminole Pumpkin Soup
One medium Seminole Pumpkin
Three leeks, the white parts only
Three garlic cloves
Butter
One cup milk
Two tablespoons AP flour
Salt and White pepper
Nutmeg
Dill
Celery seed
Hot Hungarian Paprika. Leave that out if you want. I like it spicy,
Three cups Chicken stock

Cut the pumpkin into 8 pieces. Scoop out the seeds. Bring to a boil in plenty of water, and then reduce the heat to medium and cook until tender. Remove the Pumpkin pieces, reserve the water.

Thinly slice the Leeks. Dice the Garlic. Sautee in Olive Oil and butter until tender

Put the Pumpkin flesh and Leeks/Garlic in the food processor. Add a cup of Chicken stock or pumpkin water and pulse until pureed. Place puree into a large sauce pan, add the rest of the Chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer.

Make a roux with two tablespoons each butter and flour, and one cup hot milk. Add salt, white pepper, and the seasonings, mixing well as the roux thickens. Add to the sauce pan, and whisk as the soup cooks. Thin with more of the pumpkin cooking water as needed.

Check seasonings and adjust if needed. Finish with a tablespoon or more of butter, whisking that in well.

You can omit the Leeks and use a medium onion instead. If you can't find a real Seminole Pumpkin, use an Acorn or Butternut Squash instead. Feel free to bake the Pumpkin of you want. Cut the Pumpkin in half horizontally. Scoop out the seeds and add some butter. Bake at 350F until tender.

Joined Nov 5, 2007

The first dish I had planned uses sausage, maybe I'll give this a try. Or just do pumpkin sausage as a standalone entry. Will try a test batch in the next day or two.

mjb.

Joined Apr 18, 2016
I will be making a spinach salad with a pumpkin spice vinaigrette, granny smith apples, dried cranberries, smoked gouda, and candied pepitas on Monday.
Ain't no pumpkin in pumpkin spice! (Jk sounds delicious and pepitas are good) Do you have any trouble getting the spice to stay in the dressing?

Interesting find. Thanks for sharing anyway!

Joined Nov 10, 2017
Ain't no pumpkin in pumpkin spice! (Jk sounds delicious and pepitas are good) Do you have any trouble getting the spice to stay in the dressing?

Interesting find. Thanks for sharing anyway!
Lol. There was pumpkin in my pumpkin spice. I roasted and pureed a pie pumpkin with 5 spice, oil, vinegar, water, brown sugar, and some of the leftover ginger spice simple syrup I had from my poached pears. The dressing was thick enough that there were no issues holding the spice in suspension.

I used the same simple syrup for the pepitas. reduced it, hit it with coconut milk, added the pepitas, and agitated it quite a bit to get the sugar to crystalize. finished them in the oven at around 275, stirring several times, for about 15 min to finish the process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom