October Challenge: Savory Pumpkins and Winter Squash

Joined Apr 18, 2016
or We Don't Need No Stinking Pumpkin Spice!

Take your family/friends/cats/army to the grocery store and bring me pumpkins and winter squash! Do what you like with the flesh or seeds. Bonus points for spooky photos and fun; I want those most of all. Now cook! Cook!

The Rules
  • The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
So off we go ;)
I'll have to see what's available as we are fast approaching summer.
Although you wouldn't say so today. Cold and grey here

Joined Nov 5, 2007
What timing. Just yesterday I was checking out the squash at the market, thinking stuffed squash, butternut soup and such. I think I have an idea for something that will show some Halloween spirit.

mjb.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I can’t understand what people have against pumpkin spice. Social media is filled with memes making fun of white girls in yoga pants and cozy sweaters frolicking in the fallen leaves whilst sipping their pumpkin spice lattes. What’s so dumb about that? I just love love love pumpkin spice and I can’t get enough of it. Humpf

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I can’t understand what people have against pumpkin spice. Social media is filled with memes making fun of white girls in yoga pants and cozy sweaters frolicking in the fallen leaves whilst sipping their pumpkin spice lattes. What’s so dumb about that? I just love love love pumpkin spice and I can’t get enough of it. Humpf
Don’t think too hard. “white girls in yoga pants and cozy sweaters frolicking in the fallen leaves whilst sipping their pumpkin spice lattes.” That’s all there is to it! Whether it’s “dumb” or not is another question. :)

Joined May 5, 2010
have always been a fan of the plain and simple, so my entry to kick off the challenge is nothing more than butter, and real maple syrup, salt and pepper. Roasted at 425 for an hour and baster every 10 minutes...

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG I

Joined Apr 18, 2016
As I type this, I'm eating pumpkin bread (with plenty of spice, go Trader Joes!), so I'm all for pumpkins and spice (and cozy sweaters). I just wanted it to be challenging. Plenty of sweet recipes out there already.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I prefer the whole Guy Fawkes day thing - huge bonfire, the whole 9 yards. We used to do it back when, but when we (all my Brit and Irish friends) went separate ways . . . you get the picture. The only thing I like about Halloween anymore is the parade down Rt 66 from town hall to the fire house. The kids love it and the road is closed. There is cider and whatever at the firehouse and prizes for best costumes according to age. It's a small, rural town and we love living here.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Oh crap I got off track - LOL I need to dust off my Latino recipes - I have a nice fusion in mind being autumn and all.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I prefer the whole Guy Fawkes day thing - huge bonfire, the whole 9 yards. We used to do it back when, but when we (all my Brit and Irish friends) went separate ways . . . you get the picture. The only thing I like about Halloween anymore is the parade down Rt 66 from town hall to the fire house. The kids love it and the road is closed. There is cider and whatever at the firehouse and prizes for best costumes according to age. It's a small, rural town and we love living here.
That sounds so lovely. Halloween is my favorite holiday.

Joined Apr 18, 2016
Do you mean not to encourage sweet recipes? Or is that a hint that if we make pumpkin pie we won’t be in the running to win
I mean, I'll never say no to a good pumpkin pie recipe. But it might be like playing on hard mode. If you've got a creative pumpkin pie, please share!

Oh crap I got off track - LOL I need to dust off my Latino recipes - I have a nice fusion in mind being autumn and all.
yes Yes YES

Ahhh, no pumpkin in the shops :(
No butternut, no gem squash....
NO NO NO

I'm a fan of seasonality. If you're in the southern hemisphere or maybe a tropical region that doesn't do winter squash, a more seasonably appropriate squash is fine.

Top Bottom