October 2020 challenge: Soy product

Joined Jan 8, 2010
The first of my menu:
Telor (egg) iin katjang ,(peanut) sauce

The ingredients:
IMG_20201007_161848.jpg
Soy, sweet soy, peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, ginger, chili's and onion.
The onion should have been shallot, but I can't find those here. And is optional.
I used vinegar as well as I had no lime or lemons.
Fried the finely chopped onion and added ginger/garlic/chili (very finely chopped).
Then the soy sauces and peanut butter.
I then added water to dissolve the peanut butter and make it into a sauce.
At tjis point I added the whole peeled eggs, so they could warm up in the sauce. I halved the eggs just before serving (not necessary, but nicer for presentation)
You could use milk or coconut milk, but I prefer water.

Finally added some vinegar to cut through the sweetness of the sweet soy sauce (ketjap manis).
Anyway: the finished dish....

IMG_20201007_180456.jpg

Joined Nov 5, 2007
This one was pretty easy. I've never done it before, but it is quite simple and quick. Not counting the two day marinating time, that is. I guess you could call it misoyaki halibut? I don't think I've ever seen black cod/sablefish in local markets, which is what the original recipe uses.

The Players

Looking around for recipes using miso, many of them involved glazing fish. I guess Nobu set off quite a trend.

20201007_053447.jpg

A nice slab of fresh halibut. Sugar, mirin, dry sake and white miso. Accompanied by some edamame on the side.

20201009_093007.jpg

Frozen edamame, garlic, soy sauce, butter and dried chilis. Basic, simple ingredients.

The Process

First off about a scant half cup of the miso, a couple tablespoons of mirin and sake, and maybe 1/4 cup sugar.

20201007_053951.jpg

Just whisked together until well blended. Fish put in a plastic bag, marinade dumped in, into fridge. Sources say Nobu leaves it soaking for 3 days, I did only two. The salt in the miso and the sugar cure the fish, drawing out water, making it a bit firmer.

20201007_054213.jpg

Halibut taken out of the bag, most of the marinade wiped off, not rinsed off.

Edimame, still frozen, went into a pot of boiling water. Once they return to a boil, let them go about a minute or two, then drained. Garlic and chilies chopped, butter melted, in they go.

20201009_095606.jpg

Once garlic starts to get fragrant and barely browned, add in the edamame and a couple tablespoons of soy sauce.

Meanwhile I preheated my little toaster oven, broil mode. Halibut laid on a piece of foil. The cure really did change the feel of the raw fish.

20201009_094902.jpg

In it goes for about 10 - 12 minutes. I didn't time it, went by looking for that GBD top surface.

The Product

20201009_100518.jpg

Added some white rice with some noritamago furikake seasoning. That fish was quite tasty. It had a firm texture, but was not tough or chewy. The taste of the miso was quite prominent, that earthy, umami, fermented soybean flavor - good stuff. And the garlic chili edamame turned out pretty tasty as well. All in all a lovely dinner. And maybe I had a bit of that sake on the side to wash it down.

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
So, I made babi ketjap (pork in sweet soy), ate too much and forgot to take pictures. Nothing too do with a couple of beers (too many).
Now there is a slight change to my menu as I decided to make ajam ketjap (chicken in sweet soy), with added kaffir lime leaves.
The pictures don't want to load, even though I minimised their size.
They will come in a later post

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I made the picture real small.
Hope the quality is not too bad.
Anyway
IMG_20201013_165635.jpg
Pickled ginger (I found an old jar and thoughtI better use it), sweet soy (ketjap), thinly sliced onions, ginger powder (djahe), And some chili's, garlic and kaffir lime leaves.

Let me know about picture quality please and then I'll finish the post of this dish

Joined May 28, 2015
I made the picture real small.
Hope the quality is not too bad.
Anyway
View attachment 68865
Pickled ginger (I found an old jar and thoughtI better use it), sweet soy (ketjap), thinly sliced onions, ginger powder (djahe), And some chili's, garlic and kaffir lime leaves.

Let me know about picture quality please and then I'll finish the post of this dish

The photo quality is rather strange - it seems to have turned into what looks like a painting by numbers. Is this a problem with the you uploading to this forum or is it uploading anywhere?

I'm loving your entries, BTW.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Now that my shingles and incessant headache are on the mend, this has been a frequent dish during this covid time. Easy, fast, and tasty.

I learned it on YouTube.

It uses light and dark soy in my interpretation.
I depart by using less chili oil, a touch more sugar and adding a bit of dark soy.

I depart strongly in the vegetables as my family has a majority preference for milder heat.
What I'm working with. The bowl has only half the dry seasoning. I realized that after the picture. I'm making a double batch.
IMG_20201016_170717268_HDR.jpg

Dry seasoning
IMG_20201016_172025924_HDR.jpg

Wet seasoning
IMG_20201016_172444996_HDR.jpg

Veggie prep
IMG_20201016_173737371_HDR.jpg

Into the pan in a single layer
IMG_20201016_174133942.jpg

Flip the pieces
IMG_20201016_174718832_HDR.jpg

Top with veggies, ginger and garlic first. Season with salt and pepper.
IMG_20201016_174900648_HDR.jpg

On the platter
IMG_20201016_175514304_HDR.jpg

On the plate for a light serving.
IMG_20201016_175608352_HDR.jpg

Joined Jan 8, 2010
The photo quality is rather strange - it seems to have turned into what looks like a painting by numbers. Is this a problem with the you uploading to this forum or is it uploading anywhere?

I'm loving your entries, BTW.
I was hoping to have found a solution.....
This forum is worse than others that I download pics on. And unfortunately the ones where I would like to post most pictures. Back to the drawing board.....

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I make the files smaller do they are easier to download. Then press "attach files" select a file and then wait for it to upload.
But thats where I run into problems.
They sometimes go up to 100%, often less, and then the file name gets a line through it and I can only cancel.

The smallest size I can get them to, is too poor to view (although it still looks acceptable on my phone)

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I'm sorry for your connectivity hassles. Maybe loading to a different service and then inserting the image URL work for you. I've done that from Dropbox for sites that don't allow direct uploading.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Let me continue with my ajam ketjap.
Ingredients are mentionned somewhere above.
I sliced the onion real thin, then chopped the garlic, ginger en lime leaves together with the chili's.
I pounded some coriander seeds in the pestle and mortar and added the garlic mixture and ginger powder and made it into a paste.
I browned chicken thighs, just on the skin side, and put them to the side.
Fried the onion in the left over oil and added the spice mixture.
Fried for a couple of minutes, then added the sweet soy, some vinegar, and the chicken thighs. Oh, and the ginger pickle liquid.
The thighs were skin side up to try keep them crispy.
It was very tasty.
The next day, I ate the left over chicken pieces cold. Not bad either ;)
I was then left with some sauce, which I used for a veggie stir fry

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Just for clarity, in regards to butzy's internet difficulties, I'm allowing text only entries for now.

It would ge a shame to lose the participation and cool ideas.

Hopefully the future will be more evenly distributed to rework a William Gibson quote.

Top Bottom