October 2020 challenge: Soy product

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
If it's made with soy beans, it's fair game. My limitations are on soybean oil (AKA vegetable oil) and edamame. You can use them, sure, but they don't count as the soybean product.

So tofu in all its variations, soy sauce, bean sauce, most oyster sauce, hoisin and an and on. Textured soy protein even.

Standard rules apply.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Gee, I just made some beef in a black bean garlic sauce. Not the black beans you get at Mexican markets, but the fermented, salted soybeans you get at Chinese markets.

20201003_094244.jpg

This could be an interesting challenge. Wonder when that Chinese cookbook I ordered will show up?

mjb.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Where teamfat was lobbying for a seasonal theme, in this video they steam squash with the black beans starting at 4:15.

I did it once. The flavors are good but the texture left me wanting something different. I'd like to work it toward more of a simmer into reduction sauce with a bit more texture at the end.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Interesting choice, but doesn't work for me - enjoy the challenge maybe I'll catch up for November's.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Interesting video. Steaming is a technique I'd like to incorporate more into my cooking.

For this challenge I think I'll aim for 4 dishes. Chinese, Japanese, Korean and maybe an Indian style curried tofu or some such. Or Thai, or Vietnamese. Or maybe Mexican, wonder what tofu based chile verde might taste like? Miso mole?

mjb.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
While poking around looking for ideas for Korean dishes, naturally came across some of Maangchi's YouTube stuff. While this looks like an interesting project, I don't think I'd get it done in time for this challenge.

Home Made Doenjang

mjb.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
While poking around looking for ideas for Korean dishes, naturally came across some of Maangchi's YouTube stuff. While this looks like an interesting project, I don't think I'd get it done in time for this challenge.

Home Made Doenjang

mjb.
Make it part of your slow challenge

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I'll be out of town for the next three days. I'll have limited access. I'm not ignoring you, just not connected.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I am goingbto make an Indonesian rijsttafel.
But because I am alone, and only have a 2 plate stove, I am going to do this dish by dish:
My menu:
White rice
Babi ketjap
Telor Katjang
Sambal goreng tempeh
Roedjak
Ajam taotjo
Sate daging
Gado gado
Emping
(Have fun with google :) )
All of them (except the withe rice and emping) contain some form of soy.

I hope I manage them all and may even occasionaly side step to the Thai and Vietnamese kitchen

Joined Sep 14, 2020
I see some interesting dishes! I definitely feel inspiration :emoji_blush:

For my contribution I have Chicken and Black Bean Sauce - I hope you all enjoy!

w/English Subs

In this I used:

Chicken 2kg, small cube cuts
Oil 3-4 tbsp

Garlic and Ginger 3 tbsp, minced
Green Chilli 5, sliced
Black Pepper 1 tsp, crushed

Black Bean Sauce 3 tbsp
Black Beans 3 tbsp
Tomato Ketchup 4 tbsp

Cornflour 3 tbsp
Fish Sauce 1 tbsp
Oyster Sauce 1 tbsp
Dark Soy Sauce 2 tbsp during cooking, 2 tbsp after

Bell Peppers 6-7, mixed
Onion 4, medium-size
Sesame Oil 1 tbsp

IMG_9222.jpg

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Gee, I was thinking I might be the one to first post a dish, but @mrsakitchen beat me to it, posting while I was in Mark's Little Kitchen making some deep fried tofu in spicy black bean garlic sauce.

The Players

Here's the soy based items:

20201006_062414.jpg

Tofu, soy sauce and the salted black soybeans. The picture of the dried chilies, garlic and scallions was not very good, I deleted it. But you know what they look like.

The Process

First off I put about a quarter cup of the beans in some water to soak. Then I cut half the block of tofu into bit sized chunks. Put some dried red peppers into some hot water to rehydrate a bit. After the tofu chunks sat on a paper towel lined plate, they got well dusted with cornstarch.

20201006_074749(0).jpg

Oil over the heat, brought to 350F. In went the tofu.

20201006_075013.jpg

Fished out when they looked done, onto a paper towel plate to cool a bit.

Put most of the black beans and 8 cloves of garlic in the mortar.

20201006_072734.jpg

Worked it over pretty well, made a nice paste. Added a couple tablespoons of shaoxing wine and a good splash of soy sauce, and the whole beans I earlier reserved.

Got a skillet over medium high heat, put some peanut oil in it. Once hot the scallion whites go in, then the peppers.

20201006_080305.jpg

About a minute later turn down the heat, add the garlic and bean paste. Rinse out the mortar with the pepper soaking water, pour that in. Add in the fried tofu, give it all a good stir.

The Product

20201006_080821.jpg

The sauce was not very saucy, kind of thick and sticky. Could have used maybe half a cup of broth in the skillet near the end.

But trust me, boys and girls, this spicy black bean and garlic dish was spicy. It had black beans in it for sure. And no question about the presence of garlic! I ate more than I should have. Oops.

mjb.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 14, 2020
I have never ever experimented nor tried Tofu believe it not! The product looks lovely, really inspiring me to try newer dishes and ingredients! :emoji_heart_eyes:

Joined Jan 8, 2010
So, despite my earlier post, nothing from that list.
Got stuff that needed finishing.
IMG_20201006_173252.jpg
Not on the picture: vinegar and oyster sauce

I took the fatty pieces of bacon and rendered the fat.
Then added onion, followed by the remaing bacon, garlic and asparagus.
I cut the asparagus quite thin as thevsize was all over the place. I kept the tios to add later.
Added chili bean paste, oyster sauce and vinegar and cooked till the asparagus was almost done and then added the tomato and asparagus tips.

Served with rice. Very savoury and very nice. Could have eaten the lot by myself ;)

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I am goingbto make an Indonesian rijsttafel.
But because I am alone, and only have a 2 plate stove, I am going to do this dish by dish:
My menu:
White rice
Babi ketjap
Telor Katjang
Sambal goreng tempeh
Roedjak
Ajam taotjo
Sate daging
Gado gado
Emping
(Have fun with google :) )
All of them (except the withe rice and emping) contain some form of soy.

I hope I manage them all and may even occasionaly side step to the Thai and Vietnamese kitchen

I recognize rice!

Top Bottom