October 2017 Challenge - Harvest Festivals and Food Preservation

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jimyra, Oct 2, 2017.

1. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well that was fun. Thank you Butzy for hosting it. Always, the entries are fantastic and choosing a winner of winners is a challenge on its own. Butzy, I would like to know how you do that bread? I would like to try it. Thank you all for participating.

In my part of the world, it is fall and we are harvesting the last of the seasons crops. In addition to this, we are preserving for our winter pantries. I know that harvest time is different times of the year for different parts of the world. That is why this is Harvest Festivals and not fall festivals. Here Thanksgiving is the national festival but there are local festivals all over the country as there are Harvest Festivals all over the world. The diversity of culture and foods on this website intrigues me. I have some tomatoes left and will use the tomatoes, peppers, onions, vinegar, sugar, and spices to “put up” some chili sauce for those dried beans on a cold winter day. Below I have listed some festivals from around the world. Maybe I should go to the Sweet potato festival or the Oyster Shucking festival or the Rice festival. So many choices. The State Fair has all kinds of preserved foods.

Now for this months challenge: create a dish or meal representative of a Harvest Festival. It can be any ingredients, sweet or savory. Also, you can show how to preserve something for later use. If earlier in the year you preserved something you may use it in your dish. Spring berries dried, frozen, or canned would be and example. Cured meats and seafood would be another example. Good luck and Good Cooking.

New Yam Festival (Iwa ji): celebrated by the Igbo of Nigeria

Chuseok: Korea

Onam and Vishu: agricultural festivals celebrated by Malayali people in Kerala, Chhattisgarh and other places

Pahiyás: Lucban, Philippines

Sukkot: Jewish harvest festival lasting eight days in the autumn, in which time is spent in tabernacles or booths

· Bénichon: celebrated (usually by a huge seven-course menu) in Catholic parts of the French-speaking Switzerland; a combined harvest festival, thanksgiving and Rindya (the day when the animals are brought back from the high altitude pastures in the Alps and when all villagers are also therefore back); see fr:Bénichon

Harvest festival: United Kingdom

· Oktoberfest: Germany

Thanksgiving: United States; fourth Thursday in November

Annual Harvest Festival: Prosser, Washington; 4th full weekend in September

Guide lines copied from another month

- The challenge begins on the 1st of every month and the last entry must be made by the last day of the month.

- You may post multiple entries.

- All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.

- If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.

- Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.

- The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.

- Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.

The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Just to clarify, do you mean we have to attend a harvest festival or can we just use something that is local and in season?

3. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No you do not have to attend. And it does not have to be local, if you live in Europe and want to do something from South America that's fine. But if you do South America it should be something you would see in South America at harvest time. Local in season is always good.

4. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Well what do you do with those big 'ole zucchinis that were hiding? Top and tail them, peel, and slice 3/16" thick, dry between paper, binder, bread and bake till golden then build a "Zucchiniparmasagna". The sauce is raw tomatoes cored and seeded then blitzed in the blender with home garlic and basil with a dash of that garden hot chili paste I made last week. Some meatballs out of the freezer I made last month smashed and blended into the sauce. Then assembled in layers of sauce, an Italian cheese blend, zucchini slices, sauce, spoon fulls of ricotta - repeat. Bake till the top is golden brown and enjoy . . .

[​IMG]

perkinsj7007 and lagom like this.
  5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Interesting challenge. Lots of options, and I like the 'cured meats' comment.

bacons.jpg
    Just yesterday I put a small, maybe pound and a half pork sirloin in a brine for Canadian bacon, and did about a 5 pound hunk of pork shoulder in buckboard bacon style, with garlic and black pepper. Both will be finished well before the end of the month, stay tuned.

mjb.

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Fall is my favorite season for cooking. We like to get out of the city and head upstate on the weekends where we can visit farmers markets and interact with nature. At our last apple picking trip I picked up lots of apples and some apple butter. So tonight I made pork chops with apple butter sauce. I seared the chops and then added onions, rosemary, cider vinegar, and apple butter. For the side dish I roasted butternut squash, apples, and sage.

And look at me getting the hang of using my cast iron thanks to the last challenge!
    IMG_9028.JPG
    IMG_9016.JPG

fatcook, morning glory and teamfat like this.
  7. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @koukouvagia : Great to see you using cast iron :)

@jimyra : I think this is going to be an interesting challenge!
    As for the bread: It's a no-knead sourdough that I made for the Swedish challenge (stumbled on it on a Swedish resipe site: http://www.swedishfood.com/swedish-food-bread-recipes/467-no-knead-sourdough)

I got given some asparagus by my neighbour, fresh from the field, so they should be featuring and I got an overdose of chili's that I am drying at the moment.
    I'll be back....

morning glory likes this.
  8. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Just preserved some horseradish, grated by hand(eyes are still watering, nose still running LOL), added salt to taste, just covered in cider vinegar. Will go with tonight's sirloin steak sandwich so I will update with a pic later.

9. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    What better way to signal harvest than young pig roasted and smoked. It was Oktober Feast in our small upstate town Saturday and the local brewery smoked and roasted 5 small pigs. I was joking with the chef about the pig heads - "hey Cory is that for me?' he said "sure I have several take what you want" I didn't want to be greedy, so I took two and invited some friends over today for "carnitas" served on Naan bread with a red cabbage slaw from the garden and good 'ole Tater Tots. Totally delicious -

[​IMG]

10. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I seem to remember some small town in Texas that holds a pig head taco festival every year, and goes through some amzingly large number of heads. May have to do some checking.

mjb.

11. happyhound

happyhound

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Fresh kraut!
    Pretty simple and oh so good!
    Throw in a nice brat made by a buddy and its on! crock.jpg brat.jpg

fatcook, butzy, teamfat and 2 others like this.
  12. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    These posts are looking good. Cheese and vegetables, pork chops, corned beef, smoked pigs heads, all of this is good stuff. Kraut and brats, and beer? Keep them coming. I used the last of the peppers, onions, and tomatoes and put up some chili sauce.
    chilisauce1.jpg chilisauce2.jpg

fatcook and koukouvagia like this.
  13. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Harvest Vegetable Soup with Saffron

Lets make the most of all those lovely root vegetables! Here we have: Carrots, turnips, parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes and mange-tout with some chickpeas.

This stew was a simple discovery. I recently learned that chilli and fresh garden herbs make magic together. I don't normally use both in a recipe unless its some fresh coriander or mint in a curry. The small amount of jalapeño in this recipe adds a subtle hum and I think any more would overpower the saffron. I served this with crusty French bread.

N.B the link on sweet potatoes was automatically generated on this forum and not because I added a link - I can't remove it.

20171008_160422.jpg

20171008_160519.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    butzy likes this.
  14. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Chilly here today with frost tonight. A perfect day to use up some "harvest" goodies. I made Golumpkis with the last cabbage, beef tenderloin and venison. I blitzed a pound each of beef and venison in the food proc, cooked some brown Basmati rice in a 50/50 blend of beef and roast vegetable stock with garlic. Minced onion, garlic red bell and added that to the minced meat then seasoned and added rice. I steamed the cored cabbage and pealed off leaves as they softened then trimmed and stuffed with the meat/rice mixture. Once they were all rolled I filled the pans with home made tomato juice from the garden then covered and baked for an hour and a half @ 350. The results are stellar and will be even better tomorrow.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    fatcook, summer57, butzy and 3 others like this.
  15. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have 25 lbs of fresh gala apples and 20 lbs of local cranberries waiting to be canned. Hopefully I get some time to get it done in the next week.

16. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    These post are looking good. Buba, let us know how you process your harvest. I scored some figs last week and canned eight pints of fig preserves. I.m wondering if they would make a good glaze for a pork loin?

17. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    These post are looking good. Buba, let us know how you process your harvest. I scored some figs last week and canned eight pints of fig preserves. I.m wondering if they would make a good glaze for a pork loin?

18. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Earlier I posted pictures of two blobs of meat in plastic bags. The Canadian bacon turned out great.

20171012_162644.jpg

The hunk of shoulder done buckboard style will be getting a nice, long hot smoke this weekend. Should be good.

mjb.

19. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It would indeed!

20. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    We put the gardens away for the season and I roasted off the last of the tomatoes - everything - green, red and in between along with a garlic bulb. They made a great pot of sauce with a little of the hot chili paste I made Friday from roasting off the last batch of peppers (habanero, jalapeno, tabasco and cayenne, two macintosh apples, bulb of garlic, tempered with sherry vinegar, honey and apple sauce - yummy and hot!)

[​IMG]

And the Dilly Beans and Peppers are ready!!
    [​IMG]

Lacto-fermented green and yellow beans and pimento and jalapeno peppers. All have garlic, dill and a hot chili pepper.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    summer57 likes this.