NYC eateries plus one more

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by mezzaluna, Jun 30, 2003.

1. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    My husband and I just got back from a trip that included 7 days in New York City and three days in Baltimore. Here's a sample of some of our culinary discoveries.

We enjoyed a good meal at Pigalle Brasserie on W. 48th at 8th Avenue on Wednesday night last week. Having experienced Parisian and other French brassieries, I was delighted with the decor and enjoyed the meal very much. My husband and I both had the prix fixe menu ($30.03- it was Restaurant Week). The starter was onion tarte, with a nicely carmelized onion filling and good pastry crust. I had duck confit, which was exactly as I hoped it would be: moist flesh with crispy skin, and excellent flavor. It was served with delicious diced, crispy potatoes with sauteed mushrooms and herbs (rosemary prominent), and a baked tomato. My husband had three excellent loin lamb chops, done just right, with basil-flavored mashed potatoes and green beans. Desserts were pretty good, too: white/dark chocolate mousse and creme brulee.

We had a memorable meal at Churrascuria Plataforma, the Brazilian place on W. 49th between 8th and 9th Avenues. For $39.95 each we got the buffet of a strange variety of cold starters: quail eggs, sushi, shrimp and a number of Brazilian dishes I didn't recognize. We then chose from a large number of mostly roasted meats and a few planked fish offerings: leg of lamb, beef sirloin, sausages, chicken legs, etc. Various side dishes were offered (asparagus, fried bananas, mashed potatoes, etc.). We were soon quite full! All of the meats were perfectly cooked and very high quality.

We also tried a Greek place on W. 46th at 8th Ave., Kyma. They had some authentic, traditional dishes done nicely. Their prices were reasonable, too.

The best was our anniversary dinner at Becco. Lidia Bastianich's place on Restaurant Row (W. 46th St., between 8th and 9th Aves.). We had a perfectly lovely dinner which included a starter of polentina with montasio cheese and mushrooms. I enjoyed my rack of lamb immensely, and my husband had their signature Joe's veal chop- large, meaty, and perfectly done. I had a lovely glass of a Ciro red. After the rich meal I had some perfectly ripe strawberries with balsamico and whipped cream, while my husband enjoyed the chocolate zabaglione cake.

We didn't make it to some of the delis I'd hoped to visit, but in the the area of the Empire State Building we dropped in at Ben's Deli on W. 38th St., between 7th and 8th Aves. for lunch. It was okay... but it just made me hungry for a pastrami from Katz's.

Another very good lunch was enjoyed at Uncle Nick's on 9th Avenue between W. 50th and 51st Sts. The mezze plate was very good, with grilled octopus and sausages, cheese, dolmathes, etc.

Too many restaurants, too little time! We'll be going back for sure.

In Baltimore we dined at Roy's, one of Chef Yamaguchi's restaurants. The meal was excellent, with a great piece of ahi tuna, very rare, as its focus. The meal was finished off with a great flourless "melting" chocolate cake, which I couldn't finish (too much!!). We'll be looking for his places in future travels.

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    soussweets