NY Times Sous Vide, Very interesting.

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cape chef, Aug 15, 2005.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  2. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Very interesting article, but the technique has been around for a long time and was "poised to change the way restaurant chefs cook " 16 years ago so I think that's a bit overstated.
    Still interesting, but in my own humble opinion, not a big deal!

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    nope one of my buddies was in France close to 20 years ago and he said sous vide was going on then. He's recently gotten a machine and has had interesting results....bread does not work, it flattens....even cooked frozen it will flatten as it thaws....cookies crush. He's playing with it now. I've not gotten a chance to use it but he said I can play whenever....
    What a shame that with all this great technology you can't smell the aromas...that's how I cook.

4. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We used to enjoy crushing beer cans with it! :D

5. ozarkrose

ozarkrose

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yep, 20 years ago we just started cryovac-ing at Cordon Bleu in Paris, but it was a means of portioning and storing. But please, please, please, do not cook with this method!!! As it heats, the plastic passes to the food, then your body stores it in your fat. Plastic is a hormone inhibitor and blocker, so it won't kill you fast, but remember the way your body communicates is with hormones.