Nutrition

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cape chef, Oct 26, 2000.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Recently I celabrated my 40th, With that came the BIG pysical. Well my colestriol came back really high.I have been cooking for twenty+ years in good shape and not overwait. (well maybe a little). I am a lover of cheeses,nuts and a great rack of lamb! well quess what,not good!!I'm turning into a rabbit, I can talk to almost anybody about what is right to do in a diet, But now I find myself the reciepient. Has anyone had the same expereinces? Being a chef and now needing to totally change your diet to be more aware of fat intake et. Any advice would be much appreciated
    Thanks
    Brad

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What was the ratio of you HDL to LDL? It's important to know that, as it's being regarded now as even more important than the total number. For example, mine is 216 (borderline high). When I was on a low fat (10% of calories) diet, it went down only to 199. But I recently cut back on carbs, and the ratio of the two has changed dramatically. My "good" cholesterol is so much higher, and the bad so much lower, that my dr. is delighted. My triglycerides are also very much better, in ideal territory. My physician brother went on Atkins and his total dropped from the 230s to 170. Not everyone responds this way to a higher protein, lower carb diet, but maybe you would. Give it 8 weeks and see. My husband's triglycerides also fell from a dangerous level down to normal when he cut back on cookies, bread, popcorn, and starchy veggies. I don't do Atkins, but I do restrict carbs to dinner only, and then, non-processed carb foods balanced with plenty of veggies and lean meat (or not lean- whatever I feel like).

[This message has been edited by Mezzaluna (edited 10-26-2000).]

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I want to thank you both for your thoughtful insights. I have some work to do, and get some tangibe answers.this is again another challenge. I also love bread, Grew up with my grandfathers jewish cornbread and bialies.All the things I love I need to eat in moderation (I hate that word)again thank you.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I want to thank you both for your thoughtful insights. I have some work to do, and get some tangibe answers.this is again another challenge. I also love bread, Grew up with my grandfathers jewish cornbread and bialies.All the things I love I need to eat in moderation (I hate that word)again thank you.

5. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I am so there!!!
    High cholesteral but the ratio is 5 good to 1 bad. the Dr does not care, he just wants the number lower. Did Atkins and dropped 25 #, then got pregnant. Back to kicking the carbs, but being a pastry chef, it is really tough.
    Blood test next week, we'll see what happens.
    [​IMG]

------------------
    bake first, ask questions later

6. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    About 12 years ago, I had a high cholesterol reading, and I was a strict vegetarian (no dairy, eggs, fish, red meat). Go figure. I was in my early 20s, daily exercise, normal weight.

I now eat butter, poultry, eggs, etc. I still have the same weight and lifestyle, and guess what...the cholesterol is fine.

7. isa

isa

High cholesterol like other medical problems can be hereditary. Some people with endocrine problems are also prone to have higher cholesterol level. If you eat a good and balance diet you shouldn't be overly worried. Your doctor should be able to advise you on what the best course of action is.

Sisi

8. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thank you all for your insights.
    Brad