Nutrient Name Needed

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kokopuffs, Jul 19, 2002.

1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Back in the late 80's a nutrient was touted for lowering cholesterol and/or blood fats. What was that nutrient's name? I think that it was something other than fiber but could be wrong. Boy oh boy is my brain blank on this one. TIA.

2. kimmie

kimmie

Would it be B3 (niacin)?

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm thinking OAT BRAN with its soluble fiber - I think. Soluble fiber is absorbed into the blood to "remove" cholesterol and/or fats. And I'm aware of niacin but that's not what I'm thinking about.

4. kimmie

kimmie

Does this help?

http://www.colonrectalcare.com/healt..._lifestyle.htm

There's also rice bran that is said to be pretty effective in lowering cholesterol.

Rice Bran Lowers Cholesterol: One Benefit of Whole Grain Brown Rice
    by Susan Lundberg

Preliminary results of a U.S. department of Agriculture study show that rice bran, the outer layer of brown rice, is effective in lowering cholesterol. This is according to a story in The Rice world and Soybean News of January, 1989. In his book, The 8-Week Cholesterol Cure. Robert E. Kowalski says: "Another excellent source of the water-soluble fiber tat can lower cholesterol levels is rice bran. Just as oat bran is a part of the whole oat grain, so rice bran is a portion of the whole rice grain."

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks Kimmie! That's what I've been looking for and thinking all along. Great!

6. vzank

vzank

I believe its omega 3 fatty acid, found in fish ...like cod liver oil.

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Vzank:

It was a nutrient associated with oatbran and not a fish product. I really think that the nutrient is soluble/insoluble fiber - the former which is absorbed into the blood and lowers cholesterol.

thanks,
    -T

8. dominique

dominique

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Shoot, I don't have the book with me, but I recently finished reading a book on nutrition put out by the Mt. Sinai school of Nutrition... as I recall, neither fiber is actually absorbed into the blood, but the soluble fiber, such as pectin and oat bran, binds with the bile in our intestines. It is the BILE that gets absorbed and recycled, but by getting bound to the fiber, we end up passing it instead, it can't get absorbed and re-used. Therefore, the liver has to use it's store of fatty cholesterol deposits to create new bile... and that's supposedly how fiber helps to reduce our cholesterol levels..
    :)

9. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I remember the oatbran craze. It's really nice to hear how it works for our benefit.

I was working for a bakery at the time and we came up with a bunch of different oatbran recipes. Muffins, loaf breads, fruitbars and such. I think I'll try to dig them out and make then again.

10. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks, Dominique, for the clarification. :)