nut crusted fish?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ziggy, Feb 23, 2002.

1. ziggy

ziggy

I'd like to try making some nut or seed crusted fish this weekend. I've ordered this type of thing many times in restaurants but never made it myself...just wondering what the best procedure is for the crusting....flour, egg wash, nuts or is there an approach that brings better results for this?

many thanks again! :)

2. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You may not be interested in using the actual recipe with ingredients intact, but the procedure might help.

PEANUT-CRUSTED FISH FILLETS WITH FRIED BANANAS

2 unripe bananas
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    two 6- to 8-ounce skinless flounder or orange roughy fillets
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 large egg
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup finely chopped unsalted peanuts
    4 teaspoons fresh lime juice plus lime wedges as an accompaniment

Peel the bananas and cut them lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. In a large ovenproof skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the butter and the oil over moderately high heat until the foam subsides, in the fat sauté the banana slices for 1 minute on each side, or until they are golden, and transfer them with a spatula to a plate. Pat the fish dry and sprinkle it with the cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Have ready in separate shallow dishes the egg beaten with the salt and the peanuts. Dip each fillet in the egg mixture, letting the excess drip off, and dredge it in the peanuts. To the skillet add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, heat it over moderately high heat until the foam subsides, and in it sauté the fillets for 3 minutes. Turn the fillets, top them with the banana slices, and sauté them for 2 minutes more. Drizzle the fish with the lime juice, transfer the skillet to the middle of a preheated 450°F. oven, and bake the fish for 5 minutes. Transfer the fillets with a spatula to 2 heated plates and serve them with the lime wedges.

Serves 2.

Gourmet
    May 1990

3. shawtycat

shawtycat

Would pistacios work with this too?

4. chef nosko

chef nosko

Hi Ziggy:

For Sesame or Poppy Seeds you can slightly moisten the fish with water, soy sauce, or just the natural juices if it is a moist fish.
    Coat the Mahi, Salmon, Grouper, (whatever fish you are using)
    until enough seeds cover one side of the fillet. I will place the fillet seed side up into a small amount of a ginger soy sauce (unthickened), Lemongrass broth, etc....(using one type that goes with the dish) and baking in a 450 degree oven until done.

You can toast the sesame seeds in advance, or purchase this way in a good Asian market.

The times will vary with the type of fish, and the thickness......approx. 7 to 10 minutes.

If I am using nuts......I will chop the nuts, but not turn to dust......add a small amount of flour, salt if needed.

Dust in seasoned flour----then light amount of eggwash, then the nuts.........make sure the nuts cover the fish---you can even pack it with your hands.

Now the coated fillet can be seared on one side in a non-stick pan with a small amount of oil. Sear on one side, and transfer to a baking dish that is lightly oiled, or sprayed with a non-stick type spray. Bake in a 400 degree oven, or even slightly higher until the nuts are a golden brown, and the fish is firm to the touch.

Now Hazelnuts (Filberts) work best if you roast them first, cool, then crush. I think you get more flavor out of them.

A good way to crush them for a small amount. put in a small freezer bag, and hit them with the side of a mallet. Oh, yes sometimes the bag will break, but you will get the hang of it.

Or, if you have a food processor, that works great.

I make a Hazelnut Encrusted Breast of Chicken in a Frangelica Cream this way. Except I will brush the chicken with frangelica and (skip the flour, eggwash) dredge the breasts in the hazelnut mixture.

Hope this helps,

Chef Nosko
    Boston, MA

5. ziggy

ziggy

thanks for all the help, chiffonade and chef nosko! i think i'm going to try pepita crusted trout....

frangelica cream...mmmm!!

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I can see a grapefuit side going great with pepita trout.
    Pecans work well with trout also. I could also see tempura batter with poppyseeds or sesame seeds in the batter. Nut flours may be great also....especially for a delicate fish.

7. ziggy

ziggy

:lol shroomgirl...do you really think they might go...i wasn't actually thinking of pairing the trout with the grapefruit risotto! Picked up some nice looking trout at Whole Foods yesterday and was trying to think of something new to do with it...maybe i'll try the risotto with it!

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I didn't say risotto, that just doesn't sound right....but a grapefruit salad on greens with a nuanced chili dressing and pepita encrusted trout.....imagines like a winner to me. I don't use alot of pepitas enough to get the flavor in my head, maybe a chipotle powder in with the flour pre egg wash. Garlic, I'm also thinking a soft garlic would go with it too.

9. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I imagine it would but with ANY nuts, be careful not to scorch them. What can start out as a heavenly scent can clear the house if the nuts burn.

10. ziggy

ziggy

thanks for the help everyone....i ended up with pepita crusted trout with a serrano cream sauce. Served with wild rice pilaf. Everyone at dinner seemed to enjoy it.

11. atlantic1

atlantic1

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ziggy - nut encrusted fish is easy.  It works with any fish you like - just take any kind of finely chopped nut, crunch up a sleeve of ritz crackers and melt a quarter stick of butter.  Put the nuts and crackers in a bowl and mix them up with the melted butter.   Put the fish on a foil covered cookie sheet, spray the foil with cooking spray.  Place the fish on the foil, then brush the fish with dijon mustard, cover the fish with the nut mixture and bake on 425 for about 12-15 minutes depending on how much fish.  I made it recently with pecans and cod loins - delicious!

12. bodhran1965

bodhran1965

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pistachios or hazelnuts work well with halibut. I like serving it with a fennel gratin.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015
  13. brownedoff

brownedoff

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Pine-nuts on cod with a parsnip puree and rocket(arugula) gremolata.

14. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Any nuts cept maybe walnuts. Dip in a little seasoned flour then egg white and drop H2o. Don't like whole egg makes it to heavy.  Or mix a little mango puree with egg white then macadamia nuts (and unsweetened coconut optional)  Serve on a piece of grilled pinapple.  Or dip in pine nuts and put on top of grilled Basil and Sun Dried Polenta.

15. bishop

bishop

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Macadamia works really well with halibut. I am also a fan of pistachios and have even done a dungeoness stuffed, pumpkin seed crusted, halibut before.