now what???

Joined Nov 29, 2001
It is time for seeking more advice.....I am 4 weeks away from completing my culinary education and now, it is job seeking time. I started out the best way I know by making a list of my favorite restaurants in and around my neighborhood as well as was checking with my school's lists (which are of no help). Now, as I have done with previous job searches, I got on the phone. Funny thing -- now I have a new obstacle -- THE HOSTESS!! Two of the restaurants I called had hostesses that took it upon themselves to be screeners for the chefs. Now, I called around 4p in the afternoon - not during service but still these reservation-takers felt they had to protect their chefs from the masses, I guess. Is this common??? How do you get around these lovely people??? Do chefs really ask their hostesses to screen their calls???

HELP!!

kiss the cook

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Try and find out if the kitchen has a separate phone number and use that if possible. If they are close, then just go in and ask to see the chef, or if that is not possible, then one of the sous chefs. You could also try getting a sous chef on the phone instead of the chef. Might be easier, and it would be a step in the right direction. And yes, at times, some chefs do use hostesses as screeners., more often they just think that they are much more important than they really are. But trust me, there is always a way around these people, you just have to find it.

Top Bottom