Now Buying Your Recipies

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by jbthomp, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jbthomp

jbthomp

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hello, i am compiling an e book and i need ORIGINAL recipes. These will be for resale so i will need you to sign a resell agreement. please e mail me if interested. i will be paying 2-3 dollars per recipe [email protected]

2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    2-3 dollars ?

A starbuck coffee gets more money.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Royalties baby, it's all about the royalties. None of this work for hire, particularly where you're just editing it together and didn't do the real creative work.

beecher likes this.
  4. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    For $3 you can have my hamburger recipe, ground beef, salt, pepper /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

5. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    For a dollar more you can have mine.....bread butter pickles galore !

Your right  Phatch..all about the royalties.

6. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Who needs you as an agent? , I already get paid for my formulas and methods.And a lot more then $3.00

7. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What constitutes an ORIGINAL recipe?

I took Petals recipe and changed the bread & butter pickles to a garlic dill.

Ain't that original?

8. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    How much for my virginity?

BDL

9. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think there has to be a demand for a product before you can consider sales...

10. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Comedy should be left to the funny.

BDL

11. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I'm really curious what world the original poster lives in.

The nearest comparable publication (that is, short, "original" pieces) I can think of are those hotel rating groups. Don't know where they are, now, but in the 1990s they were paying $17 per rating---and you usually got meals and lodging comped as well.

Most professionals thought 17 bucks was pretty pitiful even back then. So you can imagine the reaction to a 2010 offer of $3 to write recipes.

It would be funny except I have no doubt this clown is going to pick up a bunch of people willing to write for him, just to see their recipes in print. Sad, really.

12. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have a hot water recipe,, it's the base recipe for a bunch of other things, ...tea, ramen,,cocoa.. etc. But three dollars for such a versatile recipe seems a bit on the cheap side.

13. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Bet it don't rank up there with my recipe for instant water, Gunnar.

You start with a bunch of ice cubes........

14. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
       KYH, are you serious?

Aren't you afraid of the ill effects of dihydrogen monoxide poisoning that a person may get?  You do know that  dihydrogen monoxide can be deadly!!!!!!

I would caution anyone reading this thread...BE CAREFUL!

stay thirsty my friends,

dan

15. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    And here I was thinking the ice cubes recipe would be great in the microwave. Instant water with the speed of microwave radiation!

16. jbthomp

jbthomp

Exp:
    At home cook
    yeah your right i buy between 50 and 60 everyday and i make a shitload of money off of them, and yeah i usually pay between 20-30% of the profits to the person who submitted it to me sorry to waste your time....i suppose you are all too good for me anyway

17. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    lol..it's not so much that, but the idea that we are a bunch of hardy individuals that share info and hard earned experience to people we don't know already...without the idea of making a profit ('cept possibly Nicko who sells advertising to the site). If you were a serious poster with more then 2 posts behind your belt we would be behind you and encouraging the idea, and most of us would just like credit for the recipe and the idea behind the dish. You come off as a jackal scavenging the Internet for monetary gain off the heart of a good forum. I won't say your not welcome here..you are welcome as far as I am concerned....but don't insult us, please, we know what we are worth.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
    beecher likes this.
  18. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    That's because there are professionals  here who know how to make money themselves from their work and effort.

19. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    You do know that  dihydrogen monoxide can be deadly!!!!!!

Can it ever, Dan. Fairly recently, for instance, nearly 200,000 people were killed by it in just a couple of hours.

And, of course, a direct link can be show between deadly cancers and the presence of dihydrogen monoxide in significantly more than trace amounts.

Bringing it home to food prep, the presence of dhm at levels of more than 7% in food leads inexorably to spoilage.

Very dangerous stuff indeed.

20. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    i suppose you are all too good for me anyway

You miss the point entirely, JB. It's not that we consider ourselves too good for you. What it is is that we know what we and are work are worth.

I've been a fulltime freelance writer for 30 years, and have never been insulted with such a ridiculously low pay offer, even when I was starting out.

As I said before, I have no doubt that you'll get people to submit recipes. But, by an large, they will be neither professional food writers, nor professionals in the food industry. And that's who you are talking to here at Cheftalk (along with serious home cooks, who also know their own worth).

There are food sites all over the net who's members would jump at your offer. This just doesn't happen to be one of those sites---which you'd have realized if you'd spent as little as ten minutes perusing the threads.

i buy between 50 and 60 everyday and i make a shitload of money off of them

No doubt you do. It's not hard when you're profiting to the tune of 80% from other people's creative work.