November 2020 Challenge: One Pot Wonder

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Shucks. While at work I decided on one last dish to make, trying to sneak it in before the deadline. I stop at the nearby Winco [ Love 24 stores when I work graveyard ] to pick up a bag of goat meat. They no longer have it! So much for that idea. mon. I'm sure it would have guaranteed me being chosen as the next host. Oh, and as usual, I decide on a theme in case I do get picked, and have one ready for December. I'm sure one or two of you can finish the advertising slogan "Nothing says lovin' like ... "

Anyway I got about 2 pounds of beef chuck and some onions, hope I get Plan B made and posted before I fall asleep.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I traded sharpening for some rabbits and thawed one out for tonight.

Browning off in bacon drippings and EVOO

removed rabbit and browned off quartered button mushrooms then on to chill till later. Next went in my mirepoix - leek, carrot, celery, garlic along with bay, thyme and parsley. When those had sweated down I added a table spoon of tomato paste and a bit after a large glug of Merlot then some leftover turkey stock and finished with mushroom stock. Rabbit went back in - ".

@ 2.5hrs of simmering later . . .

Tasted amazing very delicate and hearty at the same time.

Joined Jul 15, 2020
I was planning on making a classic Pot-au-Feu as my submission this weekend, but a local grocer got a shipment of fresh truffles this weekend that required me to make something different that used many, many different pots and pans... Was totally worth it.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
It is still November here in Salt Lake, at least for another hour. So here's a batch of paprika beef I did in my trusty old 2.5 quart dutch oven.

The Players

Of course, one needs beef and paprika for this dish.
20201130_110815.jpg

I'm using Hungarian hot, smoked Spanish, and basic American plain.

20201130_133033.jpg

Onions and garlic also play a part.

The Process

I cut the beef chuck into bite sized cubes while some salt pork was rendering down in the pot. Working in small batches I got some color on the beef.

20201130_114707.jpg

Once all the beef was browned, reserve in a bowl, in go the onions.

20201130_135704.jpg

When the onions are nicely sweated and soft, added a few cloves of minced garlic, cooked that for a few minutes. Then into the pot goes a can of crushed tomato and about a teaspoon of each paprika.

20201130_140449.jpg

Also added the beef and the accumulated juices, as they say. Simmered for a couple hours, stirring every once in a while.

The Product

Beef chunks get fork tender, check the seasoning levels, added a bit more salt and pepper. Then scooped some into a bowl.

20201130_224144.jpg

Topped with a generous blob of sour cream, dusted with a bit of the hot Hungarian, time to dig in! Tomorrow when I work on the leftovers, I'll probably make a batch of egg noodles similar to what I did for the chicken and noodles. But tonight just served up in a bowl, big blob of sour cream, and it's fine.

mjb.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I hope it’s not too late! I made
This last night for the challenge and I just woke up in a sweat that I forgot to post it after dinner. Here goes nothing!

Moroccan Chicken with dates! The recipe calls for everything to be thrown together in a pan and stick it in the oven to cook but I took my time rendering the chicken skin, and sautéing the onions and garlic because
I wanted to build up the flavors. The dates melt into the rice as it cooks and leave a beautiful sweet flavor. This was my first time making this but certainly not the last.
86535C16-BC1A-478A-8554-806C8922E6D5.jpeg
Recipe adapted from Food52
https://food52.com/recipes/68790-moroccan-spiced-chicken-and-rice-with-dates-and-pistachios

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Busy day at work away from the computer. Polls are now closed and I'm reviewing entries. A winner will be crowned in the next hour.

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Wowww that was a wild ride reading through these. This was very close with 3 almost winners. The winner embraced the challenge and had a lot of quality entries I want to eat. Pot pie yasssss. Congratulations to @mike9

2nd places - @harpua and @teamfat

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I'm surprised, thank you there were a lot of great looking dishes last month. I'll put my thinking cap on . . . stay tuned.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
When I did french onion, I was fairly happy, though next time I think I'll go a little darker on the onions.

20201117_113628.jpg

One soup I've not made in a while is from Petersen's Splendid Soups book. It is a chicken tomatillo soup that tastes just like a bowl of chicken enchiladas. Delish!

mjb.

ps: wait a minute, I thought I was still reading Iceman's soup thread, that's where this was meant to go.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Do you know what we call a Platypus? A Duck designed by committee. LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom