November 2020 Challenge: One Pot Wonder

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Right,
So I am sitting by my lonesome in a house that isn't mine, but with decent internet.
Yes, I'm in quarantaine. Just precaution. I flew from Africa to Europe and they consider me high risk, despite corona-free certificate and the like.
Anyway, there are some dishes to come....

Up now:
My attemp at turning an Indonesian dish into a meal including starch. Don't worry, the easy ones: Nasi goreng and Bami goreng are still to come.

My ingredient:
Onion, garlic, belly pork, leek, potatoes, sambal badjak - extra hot, and ketjap manis (sweet soy)
.. 01 ingredients.jpg

Fried the belly pork in its own fat and removed from the pan.
03 fried belly pork in own fat.jpg

Peeled and grated the potatoes, then squeezed out the liquid.
I made a mistake here and should have rinsed the potatoes. The idea was to have crispy, almost individual strands. Instead, I now know how to make rosti ;)
Anyway, they were sort of fried in the belly pork fat, then removed.
04 frying grated potatoes.jpg

The potatoes tool up most of the oil, so I had some more. Fried the onion, garlic and leek. Then remembered I had some mushrooms, so added those as well
07 forgot I had mushrooms.jpg

Fried it all up, added sambal and ketjap and fried till most liquid had evaporated
08 added soy - sambal badjak extra heet - vinegar.jpg

Bit dark in colour (obviously), so added some tomatoes
10 tomatoes for bit of colour.jpg

And that's it:
11 served.jpg

Very tasty, a bit rich, so next time I make it or something like it, I will do the potato thing right, and I'll probably have some white rice with it.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Man - almost dropped the ball on this one tonight. I had some leftover mussel meats from the other night and my wife suggested a clam chowder with mussels. Okay - besides I love any recipe that starts with bacon - there I said it - LOL. So - Shell Fish Chowder for 2:

Two slices of bacon fried off in a small pot, remove to drain. Diced onion, celery and garlic in the drippings, add thyme and parsley, a little salt, but a good grind of pepper, cover and let sweat. Add an 8oz. bottle of clam juice, some of the juice of a can of chopped clams (reserve some for slurry), three, or four small canned potatoes diced, one slice of the bacon torn, cover and simmer a bit then turn off the heat and do something else for a while.

OK - time to make the dish! Bring the pot to the simmer and mix a scant teaspoon of corn starch in the reserved clam juice, 1 Tbs of butter, bring to the boil and stir, add 1/4C of heavy cream and reduce the heat. Added the reserved clams and mussels, a pinch of white pepper, a pinch of Hondashi and a splash each of Fish Sauce and Worcestershire. Top with a the reserved bacon and . . . delicious!! Perfect for a Fall day:

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
Another one-vessel meal.
Pretty easy and straight forward.
Heat a cast iron plate over the fire.
Put your potatoes on there (cut, washed, drained and sprinkled with olive oil)
Put them on the hot plate and relax for a while as they need longest
01 potatoes.jpg

Cut the mushrooms, take the chicken out of the marinade (piri-piri sauce - garlic - lime juice and oil)
Cut the leek and arrange them with the 1/2 to 3/4 done potatoes
02 plus other stuff.jpg

And then it's time to eat ;)
04 done.jpg

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Did you know you don't need Thanksgiving to cook and eat a tray of stuffing by yourself?

Key features
-martins potato bread (less sodium than normal stuffing)
-unsalted chicken stock
-onion
-celery

and the salty parts
-smoked sausage
-oysters and the oyster liquor of course

20201118_084754.jpg

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I make stuffing several times a year. Mine differs from yours though. I use a rustic, peasant bread, corn bread, onion, celery, sausage, thyme, sage, stock, and Craisin's.

When it comes to the oysters I make a creamed corn and oyster pudding that came from beyond my Grandmother It's an easy, wonderful recipe and some folks ask me to make it again.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I was going to sous vide a piece of beef tenderloin, but decided to sear it off in the same wok I was doing the other ingredients so it would qualify.

Mise en place: onion, red pepper, celery, and garlic. [missing is leftover rice, chicken broth and rice vinegar]

X-tra virgin coconut oil and the contents of that meat bag (garlic and thyme)

Meat comes out and goes takes a nap then the veg goes in. Next we add the Umami - (bottles), then the chicken broth/corn starch slurry and keep that tool moving 'cause it don't take long . . .

Well the loin rested and the chow was excellent.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
An incredibly simple one-pot dish, though not as easy as the cup-a-noodles ;).

I peeled and cut the potatoe, and boiled them together with some juniper berries, till they were done. Then added the sauerkraut (bought this time) and put the sausage on top (Veluwse rookworst).
I continued on the stove till everything was heated through properly.
Then drained and eat with some gravy, left over from making baby meatballs earlier in the day.
01.jpg

02.jpg
Simple and tasty!

Joined Nov 5, 2007
It was pretty cold the other morning, making me think of soup. Nice, hot soup. I've not done a french onion for a while, so I did.

The Players

Basically French Onion soup is carmalized onions simmered in beef stock. So you need beef and onions.

20201116_093409.jpg

Thought I'd give short rib stock a try. And when the pot of soup was done cooking, went for the classic gratinee approach.

20201117_123939.jpg

Used emmantaler and gruyere for the cheeses.

The Process

First off the beef was roasted in the pot for about an hour or so, 425F, turning once.

20201116_103836.jpg

Pulled out the ribs, reserved the rendered fat in a bowl. Let the pot cool a bit, sliced off some of the meat and snacked on it. Tasty.

Put the ribs back in the cooled pot and covered with cold water. Onto the little back burner to steep for a couple hours. Sliced off the top 1/4 or so of the onions, added them to the stock, along with black peppercorns, bay leaf, some carrot and celery. Let that all steep for about an hour.

20201116_190846.jpg

Poured out the stock through a strainer, got a nice batch. During thee steeping of the stock I did the most tedious of the tasks involved - slicing the onions. Of course, thinking of that scene in Julie and Julia.

20201117_070643.jpg

Poured the beef fat back into the blue pot, added some onions, a sprinkle of salt, some onions, a sprinkle of salt, until I had, oh, 2.4 quarts of onions in the pot.

20201117_071427.jpg

And put it over low heat to cook a while. The first few stirs, about 10 - 15 minutes apart were a bit tricky. But the onions started cooking down.

20201117_085721.jpg

And finally after about two hours, had this in the pot. Could have gone a little darker.

20201117_113628.jpg

Poured in about a half cup of dry vermouth, let it cook until syrupy. Poured in 2 quarts of the beef stock, gave it several grinds of black pepper. Medium low heat for about half an hour.

Odd I don't have a picture of the finished pot of soup. Oh well, so it goes. Ladled 20201117_124631.jpg some into a bowl, put the baguette slices in the toaster oven. Julia, who was with me in spirit the entire time, reminded me she liked a splash of a little something in the soup before doing the crouton thing. I had some cognac.

Croutons cover the soup, grated cheeses piled on, hit the broiler.

The Product

20201117_125404.jpg

A basic soup, very few ingredients compared to many, a bit time consuming to do it the classic way. And worth every single second spent on getting it done!

mjb.

ps: I enjoyed my French onion soup, which originated in Italy, with a glass of Spanish tempranillo.

Joined May 4, 2005
I made French onion soup too, and I even presented the finished soup with croutons and bubbly gruyere in one pot like a casserole, but I was too distracted by the thought of eating it I forgot to snap a photo. Here's what I did get. I even used a loaf of my own sourdough.

Onions, thyme, bay, sherry, beef broth, sourdough, gruyere.

PXL_20201124_184955084.jpg PXL_20201124_191446434.jpg PXL_20201124_194653849.LS_exported_67_1606367839304.jpg

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Yikes! Only 5 more days left in November. And I still want to make some crock pot Italian beef sandwiches, some classic beef stew, pozole, Ethiopian doro wat, miso clam soup, red cooked pork belly, ropa vieja, paella, black eye peas and hamhocks, a Jamaican influenced curried goat, a take on ramen, ...

I did get a chicken and noodles dish done, hope to post that when I get home from work later.

But it is Thanksgiving here in the states, working on a small ( 3 pound ) turkey breast for my wife and I. Got home from work about 4 hours ago after a quick stop at the market, got the turkey stock underway.

20201126_084033.jpg

I got the breast trimmed up and seasoned, now resting in the garage fridge.

20201126_074651.jpg

The hunk on the left went into the stockpot with some necks, the hunk on the right slathered in herb and garlic butter.

20201126_104421.jpg

Time for a quick nap, want to eat around 6 pm, so need to wake up around 3:30 to finish up the prep, get the turkey in the oven around 4:30. We'll see how it goes.

mjb.

Top Bottom