November 2020 Challenge: One Pot Wonder

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Hi Y'all. I binge watched Get Organized with the Home Edit on netflix and I've been decluttering my life and selling off all sorts of unnecessary stuff.

In that spirit, this month I want to see your best one pot dish. It can be any cooking vessel- a tagine, donabe, claypot, wok, dutch oven, baking dish, skillet, paella pan, pressure cooker, slow cooker, instant pot whatever.

Impress me with layered flavors. Minimal cleanup and burners used but maximum flavor. Let's goooooo!

Standard rules. Your food, your pictures, cooked this month.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iqa
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Wow, it happened again! Had I been selected I was going to do One Pot Warmers. Soups, stews, chili and such since many folks here live in the temperate zone of the northern hemisphere. I was going to add an option, allowing folks to sear their meat in a skillet or whatever if the one pot they use isn't capable of browning meat. So I've been thinking about this theme for at least a week now.

Now, where to start?

mjb.

Reactions: Iqa
Joined Jul 13, 2012
I get to play this month and it is one pot season here in the North East.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
One of my favorite things to do! I have one dish I’ve been meaning to try, haven’t been able to collect all the ingredients yet but I’ll get my hands on them. Great challenge!

Joined Apr 25, 2014
I was going to add an option, allowing folks to sear their meat in a skillet or whatever if the one pot they use isn't capable of browning meat.

I'll also allow this; it's that important. The Maillard reaction is what humans crave. Cooking on fire and building tools are what uniquely define us as a species.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I'll stick with the "One Pot" theme. So I always wondered why "Chicken Pot Pie" was made in a pie plate/tin, etc. when it is in fact transferred to said plate/tin. So I thought I'd make a "chicken POT pie" today like my Quebecois Grandma used to make. Four chicken thighs, skinned, boned and chunked then marinated in HerbOx granulated chicken bullion, ground pepper blend, fresh thyme, roasted garlic powder and smoked paprika. One medium onion, 1.5 carrots and 1.5 celery stalks, parsley, two fresh bay leaves were sauteed in schmaltz and bacon drippings before adding the chicken and set to a slow simmer. After I added one cubed russet and frozen peas, chicken stock and let that work. After I mixed corn starch with more HerbOx and chicken stock to thicken along with a splash of heavy cream. After that worked I added some leftover lardon from the other night - yummy! When all that came together I added my pie crust on top of the now cooled stew then washed with a little heavy cream and compound butter then vented and into the oven.

I had no idea what to expect, but I am very happy with the results.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
I'm putting on my thinking cap ;)
Most of my dishes are semi-one-pot, as I tend to cók the rice seperately.
For some reason I like that better than putting it in the pot.
Got no potatoes, but I think I got some frozen potato/sweet potato mix...
Some form of stew.....

Joined Nov 5, 2007
While poking around the web for various recipes for the last challenge, I saw a number of recipes that were cooked in a Japanese donabe. I may have to check out some local markets to see what they have, as one of the dishes I had thought of was a Vietnamese clay pot catfish. And I have no idea if the one clay pot I have is flameproof.

20201102_083317.jpg

But that enameled cast iron dutch oven in the back is something I bet you see a time or two over the course of this challenge.

mjb.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Bratwurst sheet pan roasted dinner

Ok, there are some kosher dogs for non-bratwurst liking contingent.

Made a Germanic seasoning in decreasing volume of:
Onion powder
Marjoram. Or dill would be good too
Pepper
Lemon zest/sumac/or even coriander seeds.
Caraway
Celery seed
Ginger
Smoked paprika
Nutmeg
Grind as needed and combine

I salted separately.

I each potato, sweet potato, small butternut squash; 1/2 each head of cabbage, head of cauliflower.

Oven to 400 F, rack to center position.

Lightly toss veggies in a little neutral oil. Arrange on sheet pan. I used a liner of parchment paper, otherwise use more oil. Season with salt and Germanic seasoning.

IMG_20201104_171652930_HDR.jpg

Top with bratwurst. Into the 400 degree oven.

IMG_20201104_171823754_HDR.jpg

Flip sausages at half way point, about 20 minutes. Tweak veggie arrangement as needed. I rotated pan front to back.

IMG_20201104_173825306_HDR.jpg

At 40 minutes, check doneness. It was ready.

IMG_20201104_175033973_HDR.jpg

Serve from pan for easy weeknight meal, mustard at the table

IMG_20201104_175328415_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
So we were gone most of the day then tore up the gardens when we got back and I realized "we have no leftovers". So I did a quick thaw on 1/2lb. of wild caught shrimp and then thought . . . hmmmm . . . rice is nice!!. So I made jasmine rice in chicken stock with onion, garlic, red bell, spicy pepper mix and parsley. While that was simmering I cleaned my shrimp and when the timer did it's thing I added the shrimp, pickled ginger, sambal oelek, a splash of fish sauce and a few pinches of Hon Dashi. When finished I added more parsley to garnish and I have to say my wife thought it was delicious and so did I.

Top Bottom