Not very impressed

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sharonm, Apr 12, 2010.

1. sharonm

sharonm

Exp:
    Private Chef
     Sorry guys but i'm takin a vaca from this site... I'm so not impressed with responses, and this is the only site I know of that really doesn't welcome people.. Goodluck to you all...

2. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Does this post warrant a respone?......No

3. charron

charron

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    lol  and yet you did /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

oop, and so did I /img/vbsmilies/smilies/blushing.gif   tee hee

Odd thread, though.  I guess there always has to be one.  * shrug *

4. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've never found this site to be not welcoming..  what impresses me the most about it is that there doesn't seem to be the drama that you find on other sites and everyone here is more than willing to help each other out. 

and yeah odd thread but like you said Charron, there has to be one... 

5. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Obviously, Sharon, most of us will disagree with your interpretation.

But it's a two way street. I could ask, for instance, who is SharonM? You have not introduced yourself in the Welcome forum. You have provided almost no information in your profile. And your posts have been short and, often, somewhat cryptic.

My point: If you're going to hide in the shadows, you shouldn't get upset when nobody finds you there.

6. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
     Each to their own.  You cook one way, I cook another.

7. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have to say I have learned so much here and everyone has been awesome.. you guys let me vent and whine and offer constructive criticism which I welcome.   Not everyone can handle that though and maybe that is what separates the ones who have the passion from the wanabe's.  I'm not going to lie... I do feel out of my league here at times as there are so many seasoned pros here but that is just me and no one has said or done anything to make me feel that way.. it's just a me thing.  I know where I am lacking and what I need to do to learn more so it is what it is.  

Did I mention that this is my favourite place on the web??  Well it is!  In order the sites I visit daily are the weather network, here, the local paper, facebook and then freecycle.  Only reason the weather is first is that I need to know how to dress for dh and I as well as the kids. 

8. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Meh..... Just got to be brave and post. If you don't know what your talking about someone around here will correct you, in a good way usually. I have checked out other food forums and quite frankly have never had the level of interaction I get from here.  Enjoy the Vacation.

9. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I will admit that it took several months before I started feeling comfortable around this site.  Nobody was mean, nobody was offensive, nobody was overtly nice, it just took a while to settle in.  Maybe the OP hasn't given it much of a chance.

I rather enjoy the laid back nature of the forum.  I also like the fact that nobody asks me personal questions or refers to their personal lives very much.  I'm here to talk about ingredients and cooking.  I don't care if your kid made the honor roll or your husband has the flu.  Other foodie sites are even more difficult to join because everyone knows eachother personally it seems and are always refering to private matters in the public forum.  Not my thing.

I'll tell you what I'm cooking and that's about it. 

10. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I like it that we have a wide range of Talent, I can say that I have learned from the people in this site, and I thank them all. There are some posts that don't interest me, but I know that Leeniek will pull through with someone in her kitchen screwing up. You can always count on BDL to give you more than enough info on your question, and if you can't make the recipe after that, get out of the kitchen. ED, KY, and many many others are always there to answer, and take care of your Culinary questions. I don't think joining this Forum in March, gives you enough time to get to know all these good,Knowledgeable Chefs................Chef Bill

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  11. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've been surprised at what topics don't get any responses and what do. For instance over the weekend I put together a pretty lengthy topic on food photography for at home cooks. I thought several people might have an interest and reply but alas nothing. Simple topics seem to do better.

I noticed the last thing you posted was in the professional chef forum. We're not allowed over there, something about the professional chefs not letting us post without first washing dishes.

12. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I actually tried to post a reply to that,got distracted by my wife and then didn't go back. I thought it was a great article and I will have to check on it when I feel I have something to photograph.

p.s. SharonM says she is a Pro caterer, so she's allowed in the Pro section...she has done her dishes. Personally, I value a lot of the cooks at home advice, I also like the idea that total newbs are discouraged from the area other then to read.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  13. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    "I also like the idea that total newbs are discouraged from the area other then to read"

+1

14. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I hope SharonM finds a site suitable to her purposes and desires.

Might I suggest www.discusscooking.com. Lots of knowledge there too.  A little too low on the signal-to-noise ratio for my tastes but it pleases many people.

15. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yea, it was my attempt at making a joke of the newbies having to put in their time in kitchens. I like that it is closed to us newbs as well, and it makes very good sense, as the discussions of operating a professional kitchen encompass much much more than a typical "cook" cares to discuss. I know not because I've ever worked in a kitchen but because I have the "the Professional Chef" textbook from CIA and it explains a lot of the concerns that aren't really about "cooking".

16. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's true enough to be funny, everyone does dishes. I've made family scrub some stuff cause they were stupid enough to visit me during a rush. My dishwasher was on the fryer to free up another hand for the grill to give me some backup on the saute and fresh prep. I just smiled and nodded towards the sink and washer saying "tell me how great it was while getting me some clean plates please."
     i think it was 2 months later my sister was my prep cook, 4 months later she was my number 2 line cook. the owner/chef liked how she just scrubbed me up some dishes. :p

17. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks Bill for the confidence!  May I just brag for a minute and say that I made it through a busy Sunday with the KM away and our longest ticket time was 20 minutes which is par for the course on a busy Sunday?  We had no sendbacks, one remake because I missed that there was no cheese on a plate and a couple of overmakes because I got distracted on the board but that happens when the KM is there too.  I also did inventory and three orders once things settled down and I had time to make a prep list as well as a cleaning list for today and tomorrow.  I am much more comfortable running the kitchen now than I was when I first moved up and I think that made all the difference in how things went. 

18. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh and to add to that great Sunday.. I had two call in late.. one was actually not well and I could see that in him so I sent him home as soon as I could and the other.. well he overslept due to a power outage but he came in and pulled his weight.  What saved us in the early part of the day was there were four strong people on the line.. .myself and three others .... if one of us had been off it would have been a recipe for disaster.  It was not fun for a while but we did what we had to and made it through. 

19. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
     Never say you are out of your league here. I am sure there are things you can do a lot of us can't. We are all different and none of us are good at everything although we can sure try. Trick is never say you can't till you try a few times.

20. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Chef Billy! Thank you for the compliment. I learn everyday just like everyone else. EDB