Not to be too gross....


Founder of
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
This runs along the same lines as a similar topic we had going called Most Disgusting Foods. Well I have to say both of my stories involve roaches. They were at two different restaurants one being a dinner, and the other a well known restaurant in the city. Funny thing is on both occassions I was with the same person. Anyway, I was having some casual conversation when I looked past the person who was talking to me, and notice a roach on the wall about an inch and a half long. Had to be the biggest one I have ever seen. The other incident was at the diner and a roach crawled out of the sugar packet holder onto the table. Very nasty, I was itching and scratching all the way home.


[email protected]
Joined Aug 11, 2000
I can tell you've not experienced Southern Louisiana.....HUGE cockroaches....pets to some. they fly and travel en masse....something to behold.....not unlike the fire ants......we don't have those critters in MO>
Joined Sep 5, 2000
Once I saw a roach here grossly twitching to death in the potted plant at the entrance to my favorite Japanese place (now closed). It was huge, about two inches long and 1/2 inch wide--I have never seen roaches like this in Calif! They nonchalantly shrugged it off, told me not to worry, the bug man had just sprayed. I still went there to eat all the time.

Here is a story I've been dying to tell someone. It happened recently at a casual brewpub. I was sitting alone at the end of the bar having a beer and thinking about ordering some food. I could see a cook standing in the service window in the tiny kitchen. He was a young guy, but that's not what caught my attention. Thing was, he was ferociously picking his nose, then withdrawing his finger and sprinkling it in fromt of him (in the food?), before digging in again--sprinkle, repeat. I was staring with my mouth open when he noticed me and started smiling. I didn't blink and just stared him down, but he was smiling and nodding. Then he moved into the doorway, leaning there and giving me goo-goo eyes. Finally I beckoned him over and he walked to my side with a big grin. I said "I saw what you did", but he just kept grinning and was trying to introduce himself. Finally he said "no speak englaise".
Joined Jan 15, 2000
Okay, okay. I remember working at an incredibly popular Chicago restaurant that had a FOUR legged pest problem. They would scurry around the dark dining room and bar when the last tables were just finishing up. One server used to build a "fence" out of glass racks to keep them in the kitchen and out of the dining room.



Joined Apr 4, 2000
In Toronto, restaurants will now have to post the result of their inspections in the front window. The city will have 3 different sticker, green, orange and red.

Green means all is well, orange that there was some minor infractions to the code and red well good luck if you decide to eat there. Restaurants given the red sticker will have a certain number of days to correct the situation, if not they'll get closed down.
Joined Aug 11, 2000
I had BBQ from Memphis and coleslaw for dinner....what's up with slaw?????or do I really not want to know.
Joined Mar 26, 2002
I spent nine years in the deli end of the biz in Chicago. You want gross?

First place had a late shift of large rats (not to mention legions of roaches). They'd commence activity at about 10 minutes prior to closing (8 PM). Cleanup was very very quick here. Had one puppy scoot between my legs one dark night. I still get chills.

One Sunday afternoon, we had a sick (poisoned) specimen crawling around
on the shelves up front behind the crackers and mustard display. We managed to distract the couple of customers for a few minutes while we corralled it to the rear, where our psychotic porter took the garden hoe (don't ask) and bearing down with all his strength (ex-boxer with mangled paw)
on the back of the neck of the little guy for about five minutes, was able to end everybody's suffering.

Every night, we made sure to leave a 2" deep stainless half pan on the counter right by the front door so that whoever was opening was able to grab the pan and drop it on the floor in order to let the "night shift" know that they could go home and kick back.

My next position in downtown Chicago was a very busy shop that HAD NO WASHROOMS. The owners (quite blatantly) bribed the inspector with cash and product. This enabled them to stay open despite the myriad violations.
As a matter of fact, they probably would have scored less than 2 out of 100.
Mice and roaches were rampant. The mice ate through the deli cases up front, and every morning the pre-slice guy would open up the cryovac-sealed 8 lb. roast beef or the brisket or turkey or salami, trim away the area that had been gnawed upon, and slice up the rest for the day's fare. Remember the old butter pats and cardboard squares topped with waxed paper, that were lined up on end, three or four rows of 100 per box? Well, we'd come in in the morning and have to brush the mouse droppings off of them before use.

Oh, and the part about no washrooms? In the basement, two feet from the door of the five and a half-foot high walk-in storage (really) was a 12" solid brass sewer cover which was left open tilted on a 45-degree angle to allow for male urinary functions. The day's produce delivery would be stacked within eighteen inches of this sewer.

Woman had to leave the restaurant, go outside in all weather and walk to the main building entrance and go up to the third floor washroom.

They would store the egg cases (gross cartons) on the floor of the kitchen. One day, someone most have punctured the bottom edge of the lowest case with a two-wheeler, because a couple of mornings later, the rotten egg smell at 6AM was amazing, only to be topped by the discovery of the actual egg problem which was a mass of crawling white maggots. I tell ya, it's good to have a coal shovel in your restaurant. Because in addition to using it to cart out that mess, later the same morning they carried out the dead mouser (yes, they had a f---ing cat living the placeÑoh, didn't I mention the "spraying" problem?) which was found dead in the basement at 10AM, swollen to twice it's size.

That was my last day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom