not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by damack, Feb 25, 2010.

1. damack

damack

Exp:
    Line Cook
     ok so im a cook at a hotel...

in the past month or so i have seen one of the wait stuff flirting with the other cook,no harm in that... but today he walks by me and says stay out of the walk in.. and i look over the they are both going in there. im not sure what to do. if i tell the chef he gets canned and then we are short staffed and i just lost my days off. so what do u guys think.. 

2. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Stay out of the walk in

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  3. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Love triangle ? maybe jealous too  Or what ? mmmh! just be true. hehe !

4. damack

damack

Exp:
    Line Cook
     jealous uh no im happily married, its i dont want to give my time off up( im already working 6 days a week) so im not sure if i should talk to the chef but also i think the waitress dose her job well but i could do with out the other cook he is just a @ss

5. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    So what...?
    They were doing inventory?
    Hugging?
    Smoking funny cigarettes?
    Ice sculptures?

If you don't have any proof, I'd just keep it to myself.  As romantic and dramatic as we all like to be, chances are nothing really happened  :p 
    And I don't think you can spread contamination by groping.

Now if they are screw-ups and they were on the clock and spent a large amount of time in there, then that's a different story.

6. a_mak

a_mak

Exp:
    Line Cook
     You should've taken pictures & then blackmailed him.  

7. pembroke

pembroke

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I met my wife at work 10 years ago; If they're not causing a big scene and wasting lots of time I'd ignore them and go about my business. That is unless you're not telling us the whole story??/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

8. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Love in a cold climate.
    If he's doin no harm, Id say leave well alone. Not sure why it should bother you

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I would go about my business and ignore them as much as I could. If I had to go to the cooler I would make sure the door would swing wide and let the chips fall where they may. They will get caught on their own and you will have to pull an extra shift anyway, this way it is their call not yours. Enjoy the extra money and let the Executive Chef know you are doing this for future time off after training a new (less dog like) cook that can add to the over all better run kitchen.  

10. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Currently two of the servers at our place are dating and it appears to be causing problems. I have seen a few things here and there but today it really showed.  I was talking to two of the servers today and I told them that they needed to talk to the owners and call a mandatory staff meeting for the FOH.  And if they do not show up then give them a verbal warning and record it because when people take advantage of situations, the entire place suffers.  That just said we have a server and a cook who are also dating and there is no problems at all with either of them.  He does his job in the back and doesn't leave the line to chat with her when he has slow times, and she does the same.. does her job and is only in the pass when she needs to be.

11. foodlady

foodlady

Exp:
    Food Writer
    if they're going in the cooler, they won't be in there long! don't sweat it, just keep it to yourself, you'll feel better as time passes. there are a lot of distractions in the kitchen that have nothing to do with cooking!

12. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    lol, bow chika bow bow. That being said, i wouldn't like it it my walk-in. Tell them take it out back by the recycling ... sheesh.

kristen zalewski likes this.
  13. pembroke

pembroke

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Wasn't there something in a kitchen humor post about another chef in a walk-in with a joint of ham? Maybe it's the same guy and he's evolving to include a little female help, sick puppy!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.giflol

14. coulis-o

coulis-o

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    turn the light off and walk away so that nobody sees you /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

15. chef john

chef john

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Can I get a job there?

16. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Puts a whole new twist on having a rump roast in the walk-in........So let me get this right, if you do whats right, you will have to lose your days off, and work more hours. That's a small price to pay to keep your character and integrity in order.............Life is easy, your either part of the problem, or part of the solution, you choose.....................Chef Bill

17. damack

damack

Exp:
    Line Cook
     i agree with chef bill

but today i hear that this guy is going to try and become the new exc chef and have the chef get moved to F&B im hoping that the hotel maniger isnt dumb and he quits after that. but ill see how things work out. i don't think that my chef will let this happen and if it dose this is not a place that i need to be working. so if it all goes though ill start looking else where. im going to wait it out for a while, and see. im the least drama at my work and i hate all this crap i want to be able to go to work and come home to my wife and not have to weary about work when im here, its not my kitchen im a cook not the chef.

18. pembroke

pembroke

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sometimes in these situations it only takes a 'friendly' word from a GM in private to show someone the error of their ways. This guy might be a good chef and is simply showing poor judgement; I'd be lieing if I said I'd never done the same before.....Considering a move to a different company might be taking this issue to far/to quickly. Are there other issues with this guy that might be adding to this?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  19. cheftoddmohr

cheftoddmohr

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How romantic!  That guy must be quite a catch.
    Where will they celebrate their anniversary?  A highway rest-stop?

Tell them to grow up and get a room.
    This is a place of BUSINESS.

If the guy gets fired, it's his fault for committing the offense.
    It's not your fault for pointing it out.

The both of them should go.  The owner would want to know.

20. oldpro

oldpro

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    If this budding romance doesn't create a problem for the rest of the staff at some point I will be amazed.  If this pair wants to get involved, let them work in different establishments. From an ethics standpoint, a daliance in the cooler is theft of time at best.  If their romance goes well, it's bad for the business.  If it goes sour, it's worse. 

In all likelihood, the person in charge is probably already aware of the problem and is deciding how to deal with it. These office romances are pretty easy to spot.