not sure about culinary school

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by abender7588, Sep 3, 2013.

1. abender7588

abender7588

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I have been cooking for about 2 to 3 years professionally, i just recently got a job at a fine dining restaurant here in town. I work for a great chef and sous chef and work the line cooking hot apps. My question is if i am already working at a place like this, and learning from an incredible chef (7 years in a row nominated for James beard award for the Midwest) that is willing to teach me should i spend the money for school? I know this is what i want to do i love the work, i love the environment of the kitchen, there is no other place for me in the workforce. But i feel i will miss out on some education, on the other hand some people i know went to school and they are knee deep in debt and honestly when it comes to cooking quickly and correctly i work circles around them because while they have been in school i have been working.

2. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    School will teach you the basic fundementals , school will teach you techniques , school will teach you the right way of doing things , but in no way will you learn times , speed , and it also doesnt count as work experience. 

Most restaurants here in brazil look for actual work experience , they dont care much about if their went to school or not , they care about wether or not you can put int he hours , work hard , and do your job correctly. I have worked with people who are recent culinary school grads thinking they are the next Gordon Ramsey , when they can hardly cut an onion in brunoise. 

My opinion is if you are already working and have 2-3 years of experience then well culinary school may not be worth it , especially when there is chef willing to teach you. But remember the kitchen isnt a classroom , when you wanna learn pay close attention to the chef and ask questions ( when you arent in a rush or  the chef is busy ). 

If you know how to cook probably a restaurant or business management course would probably come in more handy. 

I have done a few culinary courses ( never really thought about school ) if i was to get a degree rather have it in Business & Management which can come in handy.

Right now im starting a 10 week economics course about food and consumers , i rather have a course immersing myself in the culinary and restaurant world , then paying for culinary school considering when you are gonna learn a whole lot more in the real world after 5 - 10 years of your career , then you will learn in school. 

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013