Noodle Fish

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by allanmcpherson, Jul 7, 2015.

1. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Just curious if anybody is familiar with using Noodle Fish. I got a pound freezer pack as a sample, so once it's thawed I am sort of committed! I have never used them before. Any tips? Swap them for elvers? Flash fry like calamari?

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Noodle Fish, is it like a pin fish? Maybe bait?  Wouldn't be able to eat that.

Down here in Texas and Oklahoma a Noodle Fish is a big ole Hard Head Catfish caught be hand. Can definately eat that puppy!

Added note: My son says that he has had them in Calif. Deep Fried. He says the menu usually reads

Fried Silver Fish. Says it's a flavorless dish, needs a good sauce, girlfriend likes them because they don't taste like fish. Says they also make a pancake like egg foo yung sp?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  3. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
  4. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
    If they're really bland as said, what about a light poach and serving with putanessca?

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @kingfarvito

Not for me. The only reason I make or eat puttanesca is for the explosion of flavors from the anchovies,olives and capers--followed by hot pepper/img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif  

I would pitch them if they have formaldehyde.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  6. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I wasn't suggesting you make flavorless putanessca, just dying if the fish needs a good sauce that would be one to try.

7. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A place in town used to make a KILLER puttanesca. The couple that opened it sold out. Now they don't even have actual anchovies in the kitchen. We don't eat there much anymore.

mjb.

8. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Oh, ok, I understand where you were going with it.

but, I love that pungent, salty, fishy flavor. Maybe I'm part feline? I also really enjoy fresh anchovy and smelt.

I don't think the fish bait we're talking about has any flavor. I don't think you can get them fresh. I personally would not go out of my way to eat noodle fish in anything.

9. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I understand that completely man. One of my personal favorite dishes is a couple of sardines boned out from the back and stuffed with olives, lemon, capers, and concasse tomatoes. Toss the whole thing on the grill, amazing.

10. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Well, if these guys are at all like smelts bland is not a concern. Might thaw out overnight and play tomorrow. No sign of embalming fluid!

11. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Smelts just dusted in seasoned flour and deep fried - fish flavored french fries. Sauce as you desire.

mjb.

12. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Yeah, if these little fellows work out like that, I would be pretty happy.

13. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I'm thinking they are more like silver fish than smelt.