Non-Traditional Thanksgiving dinner ...

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Hello ...
I've done this before ... You remember ... I show you all as I go through a dish (or dishes). This time I'm just gonna make it one(1) long thread with everything I'm making. I'm gonna pre-apologize for this post not being all done in quick time.

Main Dish is gonna be "Country-Fried Steak".
I bought steak-sammich meat. I had my guy run it through the machine.

IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0243.JPG

I cut them into portion size and put then in a zippy-bag with buttermilk. I'll bread and cook these up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
Here's the first side-dish ... "Cheesy-Potato Tart"
Here's what's in it:
IMG_0227.JPG
Those white blocks are cheddar.

fullsizeoutput_2f0.jpeg
Slice up the potatoes and give them an easy bake seasoned with oil and s&p at 350* for 20-min. While that is going on I blitzed the cheddar with the parm, the two(2) rough chopped shallots and the rosemary. Funny thing but including the parm let the cheddar blitz quicker without clogging up.

IMG_0231.JPG

After the potatoes came out and cooled they were mixed with the cheese along with the mustard and egg. I did the mixing with my hands so as to not destroy the soft potatoes. I gaged how big the pastry needed to be by the potatoes. I rolled it out and gave it some fork jabs. Then I loaded in the potatoes and rolled up the edges of the pastry. I egg-washed the edge (mine is an egg and some butter) and put it in a 375* for 40-minutes. Time is not carved in stone. Check yours for the color you want.

fullsizeoutput_2f3.jpeg IMG_0247.JPG

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Here's the next side-dish ... "Whipped Coconut Sweet Potatoes"
Here's what's in it:
fullsizeoutput_2f6.jpeg

After cleaning the potatoes I rubbed them with oil and salt. They went into a 400* oven for halfa hour then they came out. I sliced them, spread them sprinkled with a little oil, then back in for another half an hour.
IMG_0238.JPG

They came out cooled and got tossed into the food-pro along with the coconut yogurt and some shredded coconut. The original recipe is vegan. They used unsweetened unflavored yogurt made from coconut milk. This recipe goes off that reservation using real coconut flavored yogurt and will be topped with a disgusting amount of butter at the table. IMG_0245.JPG

A severe blitzing including lots of scraping gives you the finished product. It doesn't need any extra salt ... and nobody will miss any bacon.
IMG_0246.JPG

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
Next ... good ol' "Asparagus" sautéed with onions and macadamia nuts.
Here you go ...
IMG_0237.JPG

This doesn't take any abacus. The pics should show you what went on.
IMG_0239.JPG IMG_0240.JPG IMG_0248.JPG IMG_0249.JPG

Joined Jan 4, 2011
The closing side-dish is "Roasted Squash w/ Apples & Pears"

This was done on a very low-sleep system. The pics are not as complete as you've seen before. ... Sorry.
IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0250.JPG IMG_0251.JPG IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0254.JPG

Butternut squash peeled and sliced. Bounced w/ oil salt rosemary and thyme. Spread out on sheet pan and baked at 450* for 18-20 minutes. Apples and pears bounced in that same oily seasoned bowl are added not moving the squash. All baked again for another 8-10 minutes.

Simple vinaigrette w/ pancetta scallions and parsley. Dress when tray comes out of the oven.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Sounds and looks like a good meal to me :)
I like the potatoes in the pastry. I'll need to give that a try👍

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Here we go ... Main Dish ... "Country-Fried Steak".
Sorry ... but I remembered at the last minute to take nice pics.

IMG_0255.JPG IMG_0256.JPG

Regular standard 3-bowl breading, The flour was seasoned with celery salt and the pretzel crumbs were seasoned with Webbers Chicago Steak Seasoning. After I got screamed at for even thinking of frying in lard I went with vegetable shortening as a replacement.

Sorry ... I forgot that I did make a simple white gravy; sautéed shallots and seasonings in butter, chx-stock blitzed with flour, heavy cream. Everything was cooked down to proper thickness . ... NO pics; My mistake.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
There you have it. This year's non-traditional dinner for regular friends that just want to get together and eat.

Today on Black Friday I was treated to a very nice regular turkey dinner. It included dry poorly carved overcooked turkey with dressing cooked in the bird. A wonderful classic green-bean casserole was included. I did enjoy the cranberry relish that was very nicely crafted. I do enjoy a good home-baked bread. It's best hot, spread with real butter. We had a very delicious pecan pie topped with tasty made-rite-then whipped cream. I got home and took a very satisfied nap of 4-hours.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
The stores around here don't sell the right meat for this dish, I wish they would. Looks good, I've never tried blitzing sweet potatoes/yams with the skins on. I'll have to give that a shot.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
ANY general steak-sammich meat will work. Top and/or bottom round, chuck roast, sirloin, rump, eye of round ... any less expensive chunk of boneless meat that any given butcher can cut thin and run through a jacquard will work just fine. You can even use rib-eyes if you can get the cheaper thin-cut that bar grills use.

I like skins. ... NO ... you do not have to keep the skins. It'll be fine if you peel the potatoes. They are tough to bake skinless though ... go with boiling. You'll be fine.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I'm sick and freakin' tired of cooking for stupid people (I'm talking about my wife here). They pick around the dishes saying "what is it" as they push it around with their fork ... and then don't eat it if it isn't pretty. NONE of this stuff looks "beautiful" reheated except the potato-tart. SORRY. ... It still tastes great though if you don't have preconceived notions based on visual presentation. SORRY again.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
I'm sick and freakin' tired of cooking for stupid people (I'm talking about my wife here). They pick around the dishes saying "what is it" as they push it around with their fork ... and then don't eat it if it isn't pretty. NONE of this stuff looks "beautiful" reheated except the potato-tart. SORRY. ... It still tastes great though if you don't have preconceived notions based on visual presentation. SORRY again.
Sounds like she should watch Daniel Tiger's "Try new things because they might taste good" and Pete the Cat's "Three bite rule". My kids don't always listen to me but it's hard for them to argue cartoon logic.

I've heard the saying about eating with your eyes first but in all honesty I've had some bad food that looked good. There's a reason our taste buds are in our mouth and not in our eyes.

Top Bottom