Non-foodie pet peeves?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Aug 19, 2013.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Do your non-foodie friends commit foodie no nos? The first that comes to mind happens al the time, here goes: I hate it when people sprinkle dried chili flakes on their pizza slice. This is bad! Don't you know that those dried flakes need to reconstitute? You're ruining a perfectly good NY slice!

2. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I hate it when people add salt to there meals before tasting it..... ( i almost hope it become too salty just so they learn a lesson ) 

3. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Are you talking about coarse red pepper flakes?  Why would this upset you?

I am used to people's proclivities when it comes to food.

I'll prepare fresh Sushi at work and watch as the client breaks every rule about Japanese culture. They mix their soy sauce and wasabi 

together in a little dish....they'll pick up the sushi with their fingers, dip it upside down in the sauce........the Sushi looses its' rice into the soy sauce dish and THEN the client uses their chopsticks to gingerly pick out the now ultra-salty rice kernels.

OH I could go on with this......

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I simply can't understand the need to chomp on dry chili flakes.  I don't know why it bothers me, it just annoys me.  I often have pizza parties at my house, each person gets their own individual pizzas and makes it up however they want.  Usually, if I want chili flakes I'll sprinkle it on the sauce as I'm composing the pizza, then top it with cheese and toppings.  This way the chili flakes will flavor the sauce as they cook into it.  My friend says "no thanks, i'll top it with flakes after" ..... mind boggled!

I have dozens of Japanese friends, born and raised in Japan and I hate to tell ya but sushi is perfectly acceptable to be eaten with your hands as they have told me.  And they all mix wasabi with soy sauce.  You may be thinking of rules that no longer apply in modern Japanese culture, it's ok because some people still believe that we greeks wear togas eventhough they've been out of style for a few thousand years.

Me loves salty rice kernels too yum.  My mother in fact dunks the whole piece in and rotates so it's sopping in soy sauce lol, ok that goes a little far lol.

5. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm in the boat of a lot of soy for sushi (and why not mix the wasabi its going there anyway?!). Let's be honest, white rice when cooked in unsalted water is.. well.. bland. Then you wrap some nori around it.. slap a piece of fish on it.. WHERES THE SALT?! It's in the soy.. and unfortunately some of us are "salt eaters" and have been fed food with a lot of salt our whole lives so we still crave that with certain dishes. Lima beans and rice is one for me as a US southerner. If you cook plain white rice and lima beans I don't think I could handle more than two bites, but add some ham, some salt, some vinegar, and I'll be all over that! Hopefully with some cornbread.

K - you shouldn't be too upset with the pepper flakes. 1. they are standard issue at pizza places and 2. some people enjoy that dried bite. Garlic is a decent example and also often presented with pizza.. you can labor over your sauce for hours and have cooked your garlic down, and some dude is still going to sprinkle some dried garlic powder on his pizza.. why? (not saying it's me but... it's me) because he LIKES garlic! So don't hate /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes garlic I hate that too. Well, hate is a strong word that's why it's called a pet peeve, an unexplainable annoyance that most others don't perceive. But that's exactly my point, sauce cooked with love and then dried chili, powdery garlic and cheese from a green box, taste it first, it might be perfect in fact I know it is!

7. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    When I was young and beautiful, I hated garlic too. Nowadays, being no longer young, major garlic growers invite me as their bulk consumer #1 and I mean the real stuff, no powdery alternatives.

8. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I tend to use less salt than some of our guests expect, so for some dishes I'll mention the lower salt content and suggest they taste, then feel free to add.

My lovely bride ( coming up on 26 years in a couple weeks ) has a somewhat timid palate, so I can't cook dried pepper flakes into the sauce.  Well, not that many.  She also dislikes anchovies, but has no idea how many she's eaten over the years.  So I sprinkle the dried bits on my slice or pasta afterwards.  But when she isn't going to be eating it, like the lunch I am working on right now, I'll melt some butter or warm up some olive oil, sprinkle in the pepper, and let it steep for a while before starting the actual cook.

mjb.

9. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I love chili flakes on my pizza, I don't really feel the texture, I sprinkle for heat! although I have to admit when I make my own pizza at home I saute the flakes with the toppings like sausage or onion. But if the pizza's already cooked from a pizzeria, how else can you do it if you like your slice with flakes? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

kk, the salt without tasting is annoying to me to, bordering on insulting.

My annoyances is poor kitchen sanitation. I refuse to eat dinner at people's house who don't practice common sense food safety. It really grosses me out.

My all time #1 non-foodie pet peeve is when I'm cooking something and without even tasting the food (my food, the way I make it) they say, "I hope you're not putting that in the food because I don't eat that". or "I hope that's not what we're having cause I don't eat that". To that I say, eff you, you're going to sit down and you're going to try it. I equally hate people who aren't adventurous at all when it comes to food, like they won't eat simple things like salmon, or fish in general, or they won't eat vegetables, or anything with herbs. Note how I didn't say "I hate it when people...". No, I straight up hate people who refuse to eat simple foods because they are so used to eating processed crap. grrrrr I hate you. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif   Can you believe I have a friend like that who's a working cook? It's like how the hell do you survive in this business?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    kaiquekuisine likes this.
  10. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Oh , i PP head on with the "hope your not putting that shiz  cuz i dont eat that ". 

We were once haveing a friendly off work get together and our grill guy hates anything that isnt rice and beans like seriously. 

He wont eat sushi , miso , doesnt like to be adventerous at all <_< .

Oh and hey is from the bay area here in brazil ( the bay area is full of spicey , sweet , food ) he hates spicey food <_< its almost to hard to believe XD. 

Here at home ( thank god im moving ) everyone here hates being adventerous , i should just let them all starve XD 

11. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I thought I should follow up on this post because I think it's important to what we do.

I've dealt with people that don't want to try something because it didn't come from a can.. but you have to know that the can, the flavor, is something they hold dear. It beckons them back to a time when they would run home after playing all day, and food was just there.. because their mom or dad cared enough to make sure it was, day after day after day.

We didn't all have the fortune to grow up in a house that had parents that knew how to use seasonal ingredients, or even wanted to. After all now more than ever processed foods are cheaper than fresh, why would a budget worrisome parent go that extra mile when they can get the same thing frozen? At the end of the day they are trying to feed their children as best that they know how and within budget and god bless any parent that does that.

I post this because so many of you seem to feel that someone that doesn't share your thoughts on good food, or what we all know to be good food, are annoyances.

Open your hearts and mind to people and ask that they do the same with your food.

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Let's not take such a serious turn.  A pet-peeve is defined by wiki as "a minor annoyance  that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to them, to a greater degree than others may find it."  It's not about how stupid people are, or how much money they have.  It's little annoyances about non-foodies that may or may not be shared particularly by like-minded foodies. It's not about making fun of people with emotional and financial problems, besides there are things that I do that many foodies will be annoyed by (I DO love my boxed mashed potatoes yes I do!)

And about those people who rush home to their canned meals, they don't have a monopoly on memories or sob stories.  It's possible to remember the good-old-days while simultaneously building new memories and employing new skills.  In fact, holding on to the precious past can be harmful sometimes, especially when it doesn't allow you to grow.  There are plenty of things I didn't eat growing up because I didn't particularly like how my Mother prepared them, like split yellow peas (no salt), meat of any kind (overcooked!), mushrooms (canned), soup (watery).  But then I grew up, started making those dishes myself and then taught my Mom a thing or two - disclaimer: my Mother made many fabulous dishes as well and nobody I know even comes close to her vegetarian/vegan cooking! 

Anyway, in this day and age it's old news that eating things out of a can/box/package isn't all that good for you.  This is not the 1970's anymore.  Considering the cheapness of some of these foods, and the long hours parents work, I would never criticize a person's need to feed their family.  These things need to be changed on a political level, making fresh food more affordable, increasing physical activity in schools and having better lunch programs, and it would help if sugary drinks and potato chips didn't each get their own aisle in the grocery store.  

Those are socioeconomic concerns.  Pet peeves are like why is a person sprinkling granulated garlic on top of a piece of cooked pizza?  Duh!

13. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    People eating fruit or honey or sugar on porridge. It should be sprinkled with a little salt and a dash of milk. ;)

14. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I grew up dirt poor, and by dirt poor I mean, sometimes no electricity, and no hot water. I grew up eating "home food", rice and beans, vienna sausage mixed in rice and beans, spam, which is still my favorite, canned vegetable, jar pasta sauces, Lipton noodle packets, chef boy'r dee, frozen french fries, and tater tots, we'd fry everything in lard. We received free government cheese from the program. On top of all that my mom was a mediocre cook.

My point is that I'm not putting those foods down, I grew up eating those foods, but damn, you don't have to be a hick all your life. You can step away from the mac and cheese for just a minute to taste something new that might totally blow your mind. I was mainly referring to family members who I know like to be annoying and difficult.

15. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I made a mistake in posting what I did.. I apologize to Koukouvagia for derailing the thread. Really bad form on my part, I'm so sorry K. For some reason the criticisms hit some nerve with me and I felt the need to say that some people find comfort in things we might consider atrocious because of their life experience. Of course that is no excuse for not trying new things and appreciating those new things for what they are, a tasty and healthy alternative in most cases.

16. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Same here i was an immigrant in New York for 12 years , we were dirt poor , people were prejudice , my parents worked 12 hours a day and it was just me and my little sister for some time. We lived off Fries , Ramen , and Chef Boy´r Dee , Rice and Beans , and Cup freaking Noodles , when ever possible my mother would try to make something healthy ( and she was a average cook ).

Then after 2-3 years we finely gained some stability we still ate canned and boxed goods everynow and then and rice and beans daily , while my parents still worked long hours. But hell doesnt mean we didnt take the time to at least attempt some new things especially on a sunday when my parents would finally take a day off. 

I love Chef Boy´R Dees ravioli but doesnt mean i cant make a healtheir ravioli at home ( obviously when i have the time ) 

17. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Also i recently discovered the new pet peeve of mine

Add Hot Sauce to everything <_< i see my father doing it , even when he is eating rice 

18. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's ok eastshores, I can understand why it would. Probably would have me too. lol I just wanted to let you know I grew up with all that food, and fried spam and rice is still my electric chair fav /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif some habits die hard.

19. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My pet peeve is if you start messing with the plate that is in front of me, whether it was prepared by me or you doesn't matter. When it hits the table in front of me, end of story.

What you do with yours, whether it was prepared by me or you, doesn't affect me in the least. Hot sauce on your cheerios, sugar on your filet mignon, blue cheese on creme brulee. I couldn't care less!

I don't expect you to try and please my taste buds with your plate. It is your food and you are on your own bucko! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif besides, I don't have to eat it!

20. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Nothing to apologize for! I'm glad you know that we're only poking fun at our own neurosis here.