No wave.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by peachcreek, Mar 14, 2005.

1. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How many of you out there would be willing to do without your microwave oven? Either at home or in a commercial restaurant setting. We don't use a microwave at our restaurant. You want something heated it goes on the stove or the oven.
    At home we do have a microwave that my MIL bought when she realized that we did'nt own one. She thought she was doing us a favor, as if it never occurred to me that I could go spend $50.00 and buy my own. She could'nt believe that I could'nt NEED one..
    My theory is that microwave ovens have made us more stupid as a species. We are slowly losing our ability to cook our own food. The culture of "freezer to microwave cooking" is keeping us from passing down the social interaction of preparing food together and eating together. Its very sad.
    What got me thinking about this was reading the thread posted by Artemeates where she asked about finishing entrees in a microwave oven. Has the microwave oven become acceptable as a form of cooking in a restaurant setting? IMHO using a microwave oven to hurry something up is akin to making bigger mistakes to cover up smaller mistakes.
    So think about it. Get rid of your microwave. Learn to cook all over again.
    Would you do it?

2. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i only use the microwave to defrost or reheat. the one i have was in the house when i bought it, and the microwave has all these nifty settings on the front - but i couldn't tell you how to program it.
    and the only time i remember using it to finish something when i was working was when some drunk said her steak wasn't done well enough, so....... let's say it was definitely done after i nuked it. i guess in retrospect i could've thrown it in the fryolater. ;)

3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    When I redid my home kitchen 2 yrs ago, the equipment guy couldn't believe we were not putting in a microwave. He actually said it would be necessary for resale :confused: I took the money and bought a new foodSaver. I can reheat liquids just boil water, and reheat in the oven.
    Throwing the micro to the curb will probably not have any impact. I say we send them to the Fed prisoners and force certain prisoner to use them daily in close quarters, if you know what I mean :D

4. chef john

chef john

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dear Peachcreek-
    At home, my microwave heats up a cup of coffee or my kids hot dog, but that's about it. I wouldn't seriously consider actually cooking with the thing. In my kitchen at work, the waiters us it to heat up fudge for a dessert, but that is about it.
    Like you I find "microwave cuisine" an oxymoron. Food is the change that happens when heat comes in contact with foodstuffs. Cooking is the regulation of that process for palatability and aesthetics. This is a working definition that I have lived by for a long time. I can understand that it may not be everybodies, but it is mine. And as old school as it sounds, to me, you cook with fire. Period.
    Radar Love is a song, not a cooking device.
    Thanx for letting me vent, it felt good. God, I love this job.

5. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Thats what I'm saying. Teach your kids to boil hotdogs, or broil them or fry them. The coffee thing I dunno about.
    As for work it may be impossible to find a waitstaff with enough forethought to get the fudge out and and get it heated up before the "frantic/panic" phase of the dessert making process where the microwave the the only way to get it done. You could really test their ability to think by unplugging the microwave then tell everybody the wave is out for the night and see how they do.
    Peace, buddy.

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We do not have microwaves at work, thank God!!! But I do use mine at home. To reheat leftovers, cook my frozen burritos, heat a cup of water, etc. But I would never consider actually cooking in it. But yes, it is a nice convience when I have just pulled 10-14 hours in the kitchen, don't feel like cooking anymore, and my wife is still at work.

7. andy m.

andy m.

I look at the microwave as a tool. I see no reason to eliminate a useful tool.

I also see a chef's knife as a tool and have no intention of eliminating it from my life and switching to a sharpened piece of stone.

I see no point in unplugging the microwave and telling a kitchen staff to find another way to heat fudge sauce. What's gained? Why don't you turn off the gas and start a wood fire to cook on?

Rather than eliminate microwaves, I'd propose eliminating processed foods. Canned soup, frozen pizza and french fries, chicken fingers, you name it. If you want green bean casserole for Easter dinner, you should be able to make it without opening a can.

Anyone want this soapbox?

8. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have to go along with the majority here, my MW is a very expensive coffee re-heater and popcorn popper :D

9. marzoli

marzoli

I dunno. Not being a "real" cook, my ideas are probably a bit weird. But, we do enjoy nachos with tuna on it :rolleyes: and beef nachos with beef that has been seasoned and browned earlier and waits in the fridge for a night when nobody wants to do much after a full day of students. Sometimes, a movie and nachos is a great thing. And my $50 microwave melts the cheese! It also bakes those potatoes that are shrink wrapped for the microwave. That may seem silly, but I really don't want to wait over an hour for a baked potato snack.
    Like I said, I'm not a real cook--just a female with a kitchen, so there ya go!