No one eating seafood?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by marmalady, Sep 9, 2002.

1. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Gee, there haven't been any posts to this forum in so long, I thought I'd ask! Either that, or we've all mastered all the arts of all the seafood in the world, and we have no more questions!;)

I just ran into the toughest bunch of cherrystones to shuck - those critters just didn't want to let go! And I know the right way to do it - having shucked dozens and dozens in one of my restaurant pantry gigs. But these guys defied my best efforts! One of 'em even pinched my fingers in the shell - ouch! I finally resorted to putting the ones I couldn't open in a bowl of hot running water - and then watched - when they opened up a little, I just grabbed 'em quick and was able to pop them open.

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Marmalady,

I'm sure you already know this, but clams need to settle down a bit before they will give themself up easly to the "shuck"

When there handled they tend to tighten up considerably.

As for putting them in warm water...to each there own,but next time try the "rear entry" ;) method. Just widdle the clam knife through the rear of the clam. That always opens them.

What were you going to prepare with these guys?

3. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Oh, CC, they had settled down quite a bit! I let them soak in cornmeal and salt water for an hour or so, and rinsed that to clear water. They were happily burbling and bubbling away when I began my shucking! There must be an inaudible 'clam shriek' only the other clams can hear - after I did the first few without a problem, the others just 'clammed up' - sorry - couldn't resist! Tried the going in the back door route, and they all said no way!

I just did a basic clams oreganata, a la Lydia Bastianich; she recommended preparing the dish with raw clams, rather than steaming them open first, which is how I had always done them before. She's right - they're so much more tender when prepared this way!

Basic ingredients - sauteed onion/garlic/red pepper flakes in butter/olive oil, salt/pepper, then mixed with panko crumbs (my twist), lemon rind and parsley, and more olive oil. Baked at 475 for about 15 minutes.

Good morning, BTW - thought I was the only early riser on the forums! Can you believe it's going to be 90 today?!