No more French Fries???

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by pete, Mar 14, 2003.

1. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've heard a lot of really dumb things in my lifetime, but this recent trend (hate to call it that as I don't think it will last that long) of changing food names has to rank up there in the top 10. No longer are some restaurants serving French Fries, French Toast, or French Bread. Instead they are serving Freedom Fries, Freedom Toast, and Freedom Bread. In fact, one bar in my area is changing it's name from the French Quarter to the Freedom Quarter, at least temporarily. Ok, I can understand that some people might be upset with France for not backing our resolutions against Iraq. I might even see the reasoning behind boycotting French products, though I may not neccessarily agree, but I do see the reasoning. But this newest development, is just dumb, and really shows how ignorant and self-center much of the American population can be. And the press such actions are getting, at least here in Wisconsin, is nuts. Besides I imagine once France learns of this new development they will jump on the bandwagon quickly as I am sure that they would hate to have their French Toast and French Fries taken away from them!!

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Of course none of this nonsense is going to get the French government to change its position. As a French official said on the radio (PRI) this morning: "If the Americans only want to eat American food, that's their problem." All it does is raise the levels of hysteria and irrationality here. And that is very, very scary, because it obfuscates the real underlying issues. Not that the general populace has been allowed to learn much about those issues and make their own informed decisions anyway.

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    In the WSJ there was an article about people boycotting French restaurants. At Le Bernadin for example, business is about half what it used to be before this whole anti-France thing started. People don't realize that they're hurting local business, not France.

Kuan

4. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Freedom Silk Pie? Freedom Onion Soup? "Freedomed" lamb racks? How about "Freedom" Ticklers? LOL!!!!

5. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So I guess we should then follow that same logic with Germany, right? What should we replace the word German with? Ummm....let me think.....let's replace it with George (our fearless leader). So now we have George's Chocolate Cake, George's Potato Salad, and George's Apple Pancakes. Any other ideas? Or maybe we should just give all these items to the English, god knows they could use some good food! LOL!!:D :D :D . Just kidding!

P.S. I almost forgot....Freedom Dressing and Ridiculous (Russian) Dressing!!!!

6. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Read about this rediculousness. Thank goodness we have not gotten into this renaming French things down here. We did chuckle about it as we gather nights to clean our guns.

7. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Suzanne, there was a good article in today's Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel about how the American oil companies, and those who provide infrastructure for oil (like our own V.P. Cheney's Haliburton) stand to get very lucrative oil contracts when the shooting's over. The U.S. oil companies are trying to beat the French and Russian oil concerns to the punch. I'm sure the article was syndicated, so it's probably in other papers, too.

By why? It's not just about SUVs; can't be, because there aren't many in either France or Russia. It's about power.

Whoever has the hand on the tap, has a lot to say about what happens to industry and the economies of the countries who depend on that oil. Remember, a lot of products besides fuel are made from oil: plastics, cosmetics, textiles.... all of which are consumer goods needed to fuel economies.

I recommend everyone watch "Three Days of the Condor" again.

8. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Ooh, young Robert Redford! And they shot one scene right next door to where I used to live.:bounce: :bounce:

Sorry, Mezz, you are right. It IS about power, and the abuse of power. And the self-deluded omnipotence of our un-elected President.

9. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am NOT opening (or trying to open) the proverbial can of worms here, but do you feel just a little 'itch' that there isn't just a bit more support from France? I understand there is a bit of European support for our latest campaign, sans France, Germany and Denmark. However, I can find more than a few times when, as a nation, we (and our allies) have stepped up to bat for France. Not trying to be counter-culture or pro-war, just inquisitive.

10. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think that France has a full right to disagree with our agenda. We certainly haven't been all that supportive of their issues in Africa. Besides, I am not so sure that they are so much against the war itself as they are against the hypocritical way the US is going about it. ****, our own government can't decide exactly why we are going to war with Irag. One day it's the ''War on Terrorism'', then we really can't connect Saddam and al Queda. Next, it's that we fear for our national security, but their longest range missles only travel 90+miles. Then we are back to it's disregard for the UN and it's resolutions, nevermind that we are overlooking the fact that many other countries are not in compliance with UN resolutions. But, we say, this war is definately not about oil!!

Let's face it, there are many countries out there concerned with the fact that the cold war ended, leaving the US as the world's only ''hyper-power''. I think these countries are making a stand, saying that the US should and will not continue to make policy for the world.

No, Jim, the only itch I feel is when I think of the US trying to bully, bride and extort members of the UN and other countries into siding with us. Again, I am not against the war, if it comes to that (personally I'd like nothing better than to see Saddam toppled), but I am whole-heartedly against the hypocrasy of the US trying to demand a country comply with the UN by walking all over the very organization they claim to be protecting (when it meets their objectives).

11. leo r.

leo r.

I would like to add my two pennies regarding Iraq.Here in Britain,our government are seeing a lot of their plans go down the toilet.They are willing to send Britain`s forces even though they are very poorly equipped for the job.Our health service is straddled with red tape,our transport system is a shambles and violent crime is increasing.We have a government that are out for themselves.They just want to give the impression that that care and want to do the "right thing".This has practically become a cliche over here amongst our politicians and they wonder why people over here are cynical.
    Sorry about,that`s my rant out of the way
    Pete,i`m glad to see you were joking about England needing some good food.I as an Englishman,do not consider Burger King,McDonalds etc,to be "good food"and there are lots of them over here.Have we upset someone in the U.S.,what did we do to deserve that bunch?:cry:

12. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Leo, didn't you know that has been America's plan all along? To spread equality, democracy and crappy fast food throughout the world!!!:D :rolleyes: :D

13. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I think General Patton said it all when he said :
    " Id rather have a German division in front of me than a French division behind me " .
    Maybe instead of sending our men to fight and die to bail out Europe ( and especially the French ) in the last two world wars we should have sent in inspectors and observers to see if them Germans were realy as bad as everyone was saying . Im not for war but I am not for the French either .
    As the saying goes : raise one hand if you like the French and raise both hands if you are French .

14. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I believe we sent troops to the two world wars to fight and die for the freedom of occupied countries, not to set up puppet governments that would kow-tow to the USA's every wish. If we are only helping countries to ingratiate them to us, then we shouldn't help at all. I can think of nothing more American in principle and spirit than France's right to disagree with the USA in this matter.

15. leo r.

leo r.

So that`s the idea Pete,do you think Gen.Powell might take this on board?This strategy could be deployed in a covert operation,to infiltrate,undermine and cause apathy and nausea.
    :D

16. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    So that`s the idea Pete,do you think Gen.Powell might take this on board?This strategy could be deployed in a covert operation,to infiltrate,undermine and cause apathy and nausea.

That's the idea behind being a Super Power. (SuperSize)

17. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    How about Freedom Underwear!?!?

18. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Freedom Poodle?

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Freedom Wine and Freedom Cheese. Oh, let's see, Freedom Souffle. Olay!

20. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I agree with Greg. The Bill of Rights isn't easy. Accepting and even championing someone's right to say something you absolutely hate, isn't easy. The French do not disrespect America, they do not dislike Americans (at least not in my limited experience), and they have not forgotten what a friend we have been to them in the past. But friends can disagree, even over deadly serious matters. If they cannot, it doesn't say much for the friendship.
    I am far more comfortable having France refuse to support our government's call for war than I am having countries accept our bribes of money and influence to back us up.