No menu, No prices; Pay what is fair

Joined May 8, 2002
I went to a place similar to this in London, near Swiss Cottage. It's called, "Just Around the Corner". There are no prices on the menu. It's a VERY nice place. Can't remember much of what I nor my two friends had. One friend and I shared a bottle of wine. WE each had a nice appetizer, entree and a nice dessert.

The owner came over to talk to us and gave us ladies (2 ladies, one gentleman) each a really long stemmed gorgeous rose.

We left 20 pounds each and felt guilty it wasn't enough. the food was very well prepared, very attractive. I do remember one friend had an appetizer with some kind of cheese, my friend had blueberry blintzes for his dessert and I had a seafood profiterole for my appetizer.

My London friend had taken a group of friends there for one friend's birthday, there were about 20 people. My American friend had been back since I was there, he said it was just as nice as we remember it.

susan

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Years ago in Memphis a good friend and her artist husband had open Wed. where you preferably called in and ate at their home, they took donations and made a bang out macrobiotic meal for around 20-30 guests. I took some classes from thenm and the food was great!!! the pecan pie with whole wheat crust was exceptional.
I had an event this past year that was 7 course, $75 including wine but not tax nor tip....the majority ofthe guests were farmers that had never experienced a meal like this....I gave them a 50% discount. But they tipped on that. I don't think everyone understands the value of that is normally accepted. Suggested prices....???? I love the idea that this is a successful business for her....sounds very Berkeley esque.
* My children have recently decided I'm a Hippy.:D

Joined Jul 23, 2002
That's Cool!

I guess I've seen too many cheapies leave 10 percent tips to trust them. I bet I'd think differently if I wasn't in such a tourism driven area.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I heard about this place on NPR last week. She said she's making more money this way than she was with set prices. I particularly like the fact that diners can choose their portion sizes!

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
An update on her place.

She had an organic garden donated to grow her produce.

http://www.sltrib.com/food/ci_2399241

It's an interesting project.

And I still haven't made it in to eat there yet. I've actually eaten out very little of late now that I think about it. Mostly I've been cooking for others: family, friends, Scouts and such.

Phil

Joined Aug 25, 2004
I wonder how she deals w/ stae regulation . Here in California , we got regulations up to the walls . you know : taxes , workman comp , etc.... ?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
An update.

She has 10 employees, is turning a profit and is trying to start a foundation to create more of these restaurants in big cities. New York is the first target.

http://www.sltrib.com/food/ci_3579448

article includes three recipes from the cafe

Phil

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Phil,
You have to be in the right location. Heck, my local customers take advantage of the .25 coffee to the point of, I'm going backwards.
I admire her for taking the risk. I hope it's a huge sucess.

I can't stop thinking that the voice from above was the IRS.:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom