No head chef in team.

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by Ashybashy, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:22 AM.

1. Ashybashy

Ashybashy

Exp:
    None
    Recently started a new job, been told by head and sous chef that when not busy basically do what I want and that we are all just chefs trying to get through the shift theres no real "boss type figures" so i potter around and clean, go for smokes when I please watch them cook as I'm new to the game etc long story short theres a young apprentice hes very keen lad good at cooking but when on shift with him in charge I get the impression he thinks he owns the place and turns into a different person to when were both on shift together when the boss is there. If I stop for 5 mins I dont deserve paying. I get that hes in charge as hes been there 2 years but I get the feeling that he assumes I dont pull my weight which I have been. Should I just get my head down and carry on or is there a way to handle this because I understand that whoever is on shift with you is the boss at that time but theres no need to act like a dick if it was the boss I wouldn't have an issue with it but it's the fact that hes a kid and im a grown ass man and do everything I'm asked to no ifs or butts and the job gets done to a good standard and i do take the initiative and clean etc.

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    If the head chef told you there is no one in charge, did he tell the other guy? What makes the other guy think he's the boss when chef isn't there?

3. Ashybashy

Ashybashy

Exp:
    None
    I really have no idea I mean when I first went for the job I was asking him permission to smoke etc asking him for tasks when nothing to do. It's just a little frustrating that when working with the actual head chef I feel as if I am doing enough yet with the apprentice as leader I feel as though he thinks I'm not pulling my weight is all I'm wondering if I should pull him up and have some kind of team discussion because I have an issue or just get on with what the situation is and not say anything. Cheers

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 1:14 PM
  4. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I think you need to have a talk with the head chef and get it explained to you once and for all who, if anybody, you get direction from when he isn't there.

5. Ashybashy

Ashybashy

Exp:
    None
    I will ask to have a team discussion and speak to the apprentice about it face to face with the head chef present so he hears what is said, I get the impression there are a lot of he said she said without anyone being held accountable and if that's the case I may have to walk as I'm not two faced... only thing is I love the job other than that and it's my first job in the industry and I'm loving cooking and leaving is really not what I want at all so I hope the conversation doesnt sour relations that's why I'm worried about bringing it up.