No Day Off Record

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by alter ego, May 29, 2013.

1. alter ego

alter ego

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Here's a thread for all Chef's to mark down the longest period of time you have worked without a day off, or your current streak.

My 29th day today, 11 more to beat the last run.

2. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    21, although today is my 20th day with one "day off" (not really) and I'm still going strong. Last time I couldn't even complete a thought by the time the 21st day hit, was delirious.

3. coyote

coyote

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    My longest run was 36 days. but that was about 20 years ago and I don't know if I'd even WANT to try to beat that now! 

4. alter ego

alter ego

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    For me, the more the time passes the easier it gets.

5. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My longest has been 2 weeks.

6. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    1976, sixty (60) days straight through, 6 am to 11:30 am office (farm management), 11:30 am to 12:30-1:00 am (yes, 13-14 hours), manage a walnut huller-dehydrator, home by 2:00 am and repeat.

Straight salary.

7. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Usually from 5th Dec to 25th Dec...........

Ask guys who work on cruise lines.  It's usually a 3 mth (90 day) contract with no days off.  12 hr shifts every day if things are good--not understaffed.  Don't know if I could do that....

8. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If your a Chef and can't get time off, your working for an Idiot............manage your kitchen.............

chefamerica likes this.
  9. cacioepepe

cacioepepe

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Restaurant opening. 14-16 hour days for weeks on end.

10. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Worked on a cruise line, it was 30 days straight about 16-18 hours a day. I was young and dumb. Now days I like my usual 5 day / 40 hour schedule with occasional overtime although I just did a 6 day / 60 hour week. Older and somewhat smarter.

11. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    It's my own kitchen.........

dobzre likes this.
  12. recky

recky

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Yep, I'm the idiot I work for. One day "off" on which I shop for veg and meat. As a "farm-to-table" restaurant I don't get deliveries...

13. nickondk

nickondk

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    14 days straight, i have almost completede a 10 days stretchs it seems like a breeze compared to the 14 days , but then i worked close to 80 hours both weeks

14. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Ahhh, but do you fix the leaking  flapper valve on the crapper in ladies on your day off?  Replace lightbulbs that burned out during the week?  Get replacement parts for the Robot-coupe and maybe some sanitizer solution and rubberspatulas while you're there too? 

Most of the dairy I get from the supermarket as it is about 35% cheaper than if I get through a supplier.  In the Sommer, I'll buy direct from the farm berries and fruit and process it (dry, candy, freeeze) because even with the labour and hassle factor calculated in, it's still cheaper than from suppliers and the quality is better as well.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.......

15. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    a work record of a different sort.....when I was a sailing 'cookie' delivering boats between the West Indies and New England and back, sometimes we would be at sea for two or three weeks at a time....Most times i was in my glory but them could be some long ass days, watches being 4 hours on 4 hours off depending on the crew count. strapping myself into the galley of a wild bucking bronco slamming into and being picked up by angry waves to try to put something nourishing together for the crew...and remember that on boats the stove swings!..we actually sailed through and made it to the other sîde of 5 hurricanes over the years...those trips knocked the snot right out of me and there were so many many times that every sinew, muscle and nerve in my body pleaded for mercy. times when i was so exhausted and so fatigued that i didn't care if the boat broke up and sunk to the bottom of the sea....at least it would be quiet down there. changing blown headsails in the middle of the night in the middle of a storm,being chased by pirates, getting boarded by the coast guard at 3 in the morning or losing a mast makes pulling 14 hour shifts for 3 weeks straight over the holidays in our restaurant seem like a cake walk.....and of course it isn't, but it's all relative...

joey. ;)

16. talabadoo

talabadoo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A little under 4 months straight. But i was working 3 jobs at the time

17. raibeaux

raibeaux

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Not sure.  One from January 2nd until Memorial Day I think.  Then not until July 4th, then go 'til labor day.  Then go to Thanksgiving.  Then to Christmas day and the day after.

Actually totals out to around 8 or so days off a year I think.  We do also take half a day on Mother's day and a couple more times. 

Too much, I know, but I haven't had to call on Irvin or Ramsey yet.  My wife and I both run the place...together at all times. I'd rather be there bugging her than watching soap operas or texting.   Open for lunch and dinner, seven days.

After 22 years, it's getting time to sell, and the new guys can work the days they want.

P.S.

We had a fire some years back and were out of business for a few months.  Vacation?  Naw.  We just sat there and stared at each other trying to decide where to go.  We did actually eat out a few times, though, but my wife got irritated at me for rating the food and service.  I did finally eat out with my mouth mostly closed a few times.  But I was about to bust.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  18. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Foodpump, I thought you worked at a Hotel............anyway, I'm taking about the Chefs that can't train, can't manage and are scared shit to leave the kitchen for fear of losing their position. They bitch about how many hrs they work and how little they make..............A Chef needs to manage their time out of the kitchen, in most cases long hrs don't help the mood.

19. brandon odell

brandon odell

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Worked for a year once with 6 breaks in work. Most for several days at a time but I couldn't tell you how many days in a row there were between breaks. That year, I was a travelling Chef/General Manager for a college food service company and travelled the state fixing money losing food services. I only spend 4 nights in my own bed that year. After that year, my district manager made the mistake of coming down on me when he thought I didn't take care of something I did take care of. That's when I decided that working 80-90 hour weeks for months on end wasn't worth any amount of money. i reprioritized my life after that and decided never to work like that again. I'm in a much better place now.

20. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Bon Appitite mgt was it? I have heard horror stories about them.