No caffeine?!?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shimmer, Feb 10, 2004.

1. shimmer

shimmer

Recently diagnosed with PSVT (Paroxsymal supraventricular tachycardia), the ONE thing I am not supposed to have is caffeine.

This includes chocolate, folks. *gasp*

So... how do you infer decadence without chocolate? Particularly on V-Day?

(It's been a long time since I've been around these parts, I traded my chef hat in for a librarian degree....)

:cool:

2. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have absolutely no idea, but it is good to see you again!

I guess there's always fruit.. ;)

3. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    dear shimmer,
    welcome to the club. i also have svt. ain't life grand.:( did they tell you how to break the racing heart thing - hold your nose and pop your ears?
    i still drink tea and eat chocolate, but i have dropped 20# and about 12" and that seems to have helped a lot. pm me if you want. there are very good drs in the worc. ma areaand boston that specialize in the treatment of this.
    good luck,
    kat

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've been banned from caffeine too. Chocolate was recommended against as well, but I've still indulged. My diagnosis was different though.

Phil

5. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    First: it's good to see you back! :bounce:

Second: well, at least you have a diagnosis and some idea of how to deal with the problem. That's better than not knowing.

Third: Well, there's always whipped cream :blush: :lips: :look: :D

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi Shimmer- it's good to hear from you again!

I know this will make some gasp, but if you can find some well-made carob "chocolate" that may help. I'm assuming it has no caffeine.

7. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    dear shimmer,
    one important thing to remember - if going to have dental work done, tell the dentist not to use ephinenphrene(sp?) it really makes your heart kick it up a notch. they use it with the novacaine in order to lessen bleeding and prolong the novacaine's effects. i remembered this before sitting in the chair last week for major dental work.
    i sometimes wonder if i did damage to my body with all those years of having to prove that i was tough enough(physically) as the guys when it came to cooking in busy restaurants and bars. maybe i shouldn't have been lifting the other end of those full kegs?:)
    kat

8. genevieve.m

genevieve.m

What about white chocolate?

Nice recipe in the free pages of my website for champange rose jelly and nougat ice cream for valentines day featuring white chocolate. If I've got it wrong, sorry, but there is the jelly.

9. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I have been mostly caffeine-free (I still ate chocolate) by choice since 1991 and completely caffeine-free (no chocolate) since May 1993. This is when I converted to Hinduism and we're not supposed to consume caffeine, I know many who eat chocolate. I just chose not to BS myself into thinking it was caffeine-free. I eat white chocolate. I tried the carob thing for a bit and BARF! Melt some cocoa butter or white chocolate into it and it helps by leaps and bounds. You can still tell it's not chocolate, but it's pretty darn good. I made a whole groom's cake out of carob/cocoa butter cake and none of the 100 guests even knew. I also used caffeine-free espresso buttercream on it and I had the mother of the bride come up to me and exclaimed: "I'm so hyper from the espresso!" I said, "Oh, but it's caffeine-free". She said, "Oh, well it must be the chocolate cake!" I said, "It's not chocolate; Mark ask that I make it carob". Then she felt REALLY stupid so I said, "I'm sure it must just be the sugar?" She "blamed" it on that and didn't really talk to me the rest of the reception. Hehehehe.

10. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Ohhhh, you shoulda told her it was Splenda!!!! :p

11. regularjoe

regularjoe

Just a thought, but before get wacky and giving up chocolate because it contains caffeine, you may want to check the facts.

I recently heard two nutritionists state that the average serving of chocolate has less caffeine than a cup of decaffeinated coffee.

I don't know this to be fact, but it may bear checking out the real data on chocolate and caffeine.

12. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Is it really caffeine? I could be off base, but it seems that nutritionally speaking, caffeine is a class of chemicals as far as what gets labeled. Depending how technical a report gets, there are other related chemicals much more prevalent in chocolate than caffeine though they get casually labeled caffeine.

http://www.chocolateinfo.com/cf/cf_article_02.jsp

So, find out from your doctor if theobromine is the problem, or if it's all similar chemicals commonly called caffeine.

Phil