Nightmare Tales of Chefs

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by 100folds, Apr 17, 2005.

1. 100folds

100folds

Who was your worst or craziest chef you ever had?

2. dano1

dano1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    myself.....;)

3. blue_wolf

blue_wolf

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Psyco-wise, that would have been my second chef I worked under. I saw a radio go flying across the kitchen (he didn't like the song being played) as one example. The turning point for me was when I was trying to help him get a sheet tray out of a stack rack. He proceeded to smack the tray (which was at about neck level for me) and send it flying at me. I ducked just in time to see it go over the top of me and land on the floor some feet back. When I looked at him with the WTF look, all he shouted at me was something to the effect of "Don't ever help me again". I quit a week later.

4. bearboxer

bearboxer

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The one that was usually drunk (a corporate one) and would come in during heavy service and dump the trash cans over onto the floor to see what we were throwing out. Guess he was controlling waste!

5. 100folds

100folds

I had one that I call my italian nightmare.
    We were not allowed to write the number 17 on anything in the restaurant. We had to write 16 +1. So needless to say, when we had to do inventory, or a party of 17 people came in or even if it was the 17th day of the month, things got a little complicated. He thought that if you spelt the roman numerical value backwards, it spelt death. Of course my bithday is march 17th, to which he imformed me that I was cursed.
    We also were not allowed to write in red ink of any kind, and if we did, we were fired on the spot.
    He too would throw things at you and scream at the top of his lungs if he needed somwthing, usually in italian or some other language, but never english.
    I finally had it when I went to season a tenderloin and he grab to salt and pepper and dumped on my head because I was using my left hand. I gently imformed him that we wipe our asses with toilet paper in this country and wash both hands after we're finished, maybe he should try it sometime so he could have the use of both hands. Than I threw the tenderloin in the pan with my left hand and walked off line.
    I've had worse since then but he will always remain my italian nightmare

6. redace1960

redace1960

my chef in portland who drove a knife through a prep dudes hand
    for 'giving him attitude'. no warning, no nothing. just instant pierce
    job.