Nicoise salad

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by siduri, May 27, 2012.

1. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    There are lots of summer salady one-course meals, like panzanella, caprese salad or pasta, rice salad, quinoa salad, etc. 

But when i can find the fresh borlotti beans (red and white spotted)  (a whole different taste from the dried) i like to make Nicoise salad. 

What do you put in it?

My list is

the boiled beans

string beans

boiled potatoes

hard boiled eggs

tomatoes

tuna

I make little piles of all of these around a large flat dish,

then strew

anchovies (salted, washed)

gaeta olives (they're usually on hand)

sliced red (tropea if i can get them) onions

and olive oil, salt and pepper

so appealing when it's hot. 

sometimes i may roast peppers and peel them and add strips of it. 

I guess it's already rich but wondered what else i might put (or substitute).  I don;t care about authentic, just good (and easy is nice)

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Mmm, sounds good.  I've never made or eaten a salad nicoise. 

3. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    siduri: Your salad is spectacular, but if you're looking for an extreme departure from the classic Nicoise, you can add some small melon cubes. Great with tuna, great with anchovies, great with olives. It will give the salad a Full HD/3D/6.1 emotional touch.

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    well, that's interesting.  I never would have thought of it.  Melon is good with prosciutto, i'll try it. 

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hey Siduri, no vinegar? No acid?

When I make Niçoise salad I like to use

- steamed young potatoes,

- green beans,

- good quality canned tuna,

- black olives,

- red onions,

- sometimes scallions or onion chives or garlic chives,

- soft boiled eggs, 

- red wine vinegar, olive oil, S & P. 

Other ideas of possible ingredients would be: 

- raw green or red bell pepper,

- fava beans, 

- celery,

- small artichokes

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  6. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    siduri,

capers, lupini beans, maybe cornichons...for non 'authentico' and really more antipasti then nicoise, perhaps some marinated creminis or button mushrooms,some type of wonderful cheese that you have access to, very small pickled asparagus and the name escapes me now but the bright green tart small olives(italian). also maybe pickle the haricot verts, just for kicks. the french are most certainly rolling their eyes...mon dieur!  fwiw, i make the vinaigrette for a nicoise salade with olive juice in place of red wine vinegar, and i do prefer to use a tarragon mustard.

joey

and of course, hearts of palm

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  7. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    all interesting ideas

thanks

8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Most French people don't realize that when they order a Niçoise salad from a restaurant, what they're getting is only very losely related to the original recipe. 

The original Niçoise salad is a raw-veggie salad - no cooked veggies, no potatoes, no green beans, only raw veggies originating from the Niçoise region (you won't be able to find any of those if you're more than 200 miles away from Nice). The original ingredients were any raw tiny in-season local veggies: fava beans (fevettes), raw tiny Nice purple artichokes, a special kind of onion chive (cebette), raw green or red bell peppers, tomatoes, celery, eggs and anchovies. It was also common to rub the salad bowl with garlic before preparing the salad, and to add fresh basil. 

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  9. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Interesting french fries. Italians (or Romans?) go wild for raw fave beans in the summer (it's traditional here to eat them with pecorino) but i never liked them much.  The artichokes, now that's a good idea - we certainly have those here in the gazillions, and you can even buy them cleaned in the outdoor markets.  are they just sliced raw? 

Sounds good.

thanks

10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    The artichokes are tiny purple ones, you can just remove the leaves and use the heart, julienne it raw. The Nicoise fevettes are smaller and more tender than fava beans - well depending on the size of your fava beans obviously. I love them raw in small quantity. I'll have to try with pecorino (do they add anything else? Olive oil, seasoning?) I love them cooked but not too cooked, their flavor is then completely different. As kids we used to eat deep fried dried fava beans with lots of salt and LOTS of black pepper... it was like french fries. :)

11. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    sorry FF,

it was meant to be funny...interesting though. i thought that a nicoise salad was an arranged salad, not tossed.

joey

12. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Fava beans and pecorino are a typical thing you bring into the country and eat just like that, shelling the beans and popping them in your mouth and cutting off a piece of pecorino.  It's the typical snack "fuori porta" (outside the walls of the city, which unfortunately now is simply more city, and more city, and more city....

13. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks siduri, I will try it!!

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  14. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Of course Joey, no problem. While Niçoise is often served nicely arranged on a plate in restaurants, at home we would toss the green beans in the vinaigrette with the thinly sliced red onions and canned tuna, put it in a bowl and arrange potato wedges, tomato wedges, egg wedges and black olives on top. Depending on the time and mood of the cook, some of the garnishes may have just been tossed along with the beans (for example the tomato, olives and potatoes may just be tossed with the beans while only the eggs are used for garnish). Keep in mind I am not from Nice, I grew up exactly 200 miles from Nice, which makes it not local to me. I'm sure someone from Nice would laugh at all that. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

15. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yeah, I was wondering.  We say "french fries" but the french don't call them french fries, and we talk about "french toast" but the french don't call it french toast.  We say "bolognese sauce" but in bologna they just say "ragu'" - and that's for things that are actually made and eaten in these places.  Let's not get into "Italian dressing" which is not even eaten in Italy - they don't "make" "dressing" here, but just pour oil and vinegar on the salad and mix well with the greens.  Only one person i know here makes "dressing" in the sense of mixing the ingredients before putting on the salad, and she's french and does a nice "vinaigrette" and doesn't call it "french".. 

So I wonder if in Nice they just make salad, and if "salade nicoise" is not just a name used by people outside of Nice for this type of salad.  Which would account for the variety of ingredients, the arrangement done nicely in a flat dish, etc.  I mean, apart from restaurants in Nice, (which would probably have incorporated "nicoise" into their menu because it is a resort town), I wonder if the locals don;t just call it "salade"  

I wonder, at this point, if its southern counterpart, "insalata caprese" is just a salad people will make, among others, in capri and the naples area, and tourists from other parts of italy on vacation there loved it and referred to it as caprese.  In Naples do they call pizza with tomato, mozzarella and anchovies "pizza napolitana" or just pizza. 

In Boston when i was a kid, "boston baked beans" were just "baked bean" - and only now, with greater variety in stores and more people living in different cities than they were born in, do they call them "BOSTON baked beans" even in boston, but not all the time. 

Sorry, this is a linguistic and cultural digression and doesn;t have much to do with salads - but that's what's fun about these threads!

16. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ah Siduri, we always digress in this manner.  In the states we order "coffee" but in other countries it needs to be specified as american coffee or drip-coffee.  I wonder what they call french press in France. 

17. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A cafetiere?  That's what we call a FP in the UK!

18. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    In French, cafetière just means coffee maker (in the broad, general term), so it could be any type of coffee maker. 

I honestly didn't know how to name that specific type of cafetière (other than "a Bodum") so I looked it up in a French catalog and they call it "Cafetière à piston". I'd never heard that before. 

So how do they say "Cafetière Italienne" in Italy? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

[​IMG]

19. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    macchinetta del caffe and/or caffiettiera In English, they're called "Moka pots." We don't own one.

We do have three French presses, though. Two are made by Bodum, the third by a company itself named "Cafetiere." I believe they're headquartered in the UK, and most of their pots are made for the British market.

BDL

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  20. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    "La Moka" (or "la Mocha")  K doesn't exist in italian but the coffee pot is usually called La Moka.  (Mocha does not imply any chocolate in it) 

or, as bdl says, "la macchinetta del caffe' "