nice packaging for candies/chocs

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by tralfaz, Aug 30, 2017.

1. tralfaz

tralfaz

Exp:
    20 yrs in tiny and large kitchens
    I'm toying around with the idea of selling candies/chocs. The restaurant/packaging suppliers I've seen all sell inexpensive to moderate boxes and packaging. The better chocolate shops use high quality and unusual packaging. I can't seem to find any like them online Where are they getting these boxes? Are they all custom made? I realize expensive packaging brings up the price of the product, but shouldn't good quality product have good quality packaging?

2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    The nicer packaging choices are available to the small confectionary producers but there are minimums.
    Anywhere from 100 to 1 K pieces.
    The luxury lines not so much.
    Their packaging is trademarked and to try and copycat them leaves you open to copywrite infringement.

mimi

3. tralfaz

tralfaz

Exp:
    It sounds like the luxury lines are custom made.

What companies make these? Are we allowed to mention businesses here? I've looked at paper and rest. supply catalogs at work and haven't found anything nicer than a rigid foil boxes.

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I love nice packaging not only for baked goods but gifts as well.
    Now that I am retired and my needs have decreased I have been making my own using some ideas from youtube.
    All sorts of impressive!
    Right off the top of my head...Alibaba.com has some beautiful packaging options...papermart.com has a few interesting ideas as well.
    Have used alibaba a couple of times for benefit "thanks for your support" swag "bags".
    If they are too expensive for what you have in mind try printers in your area....most can do anything with paper not just business cards.

mimi

5. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Kinda OT here but I have been selling off some of my bone china tea sets (snapped up from yard and estate sales).
    I have been making dainty girlie looking boxes (lightweight cardboard) with separate lids and then covering with wallpaper samples as well as upholstery fabric (don't forget the ribbons and lace) and marketing as "shabby chic"
    When finished the items are nestled into cushions of pastel tissue paper and offered on Facebook "garage sale" pages.
    Sometimes I will add a few teabags to sweeten the deal.

mimi

6. tralfaz

tralfaz

Exp:
    I'll check out alibaba. I looked at it a couple years ago for something else (I didn't want 1000 units) and kind of forgot about it. A few years ago I used to make my own boxes out of poster board. I'm rather proud to say I made some very nice one of a kind boxes. I just don't have the time to do that sort of thing anymore (getting older and working 40+ hrs a week in food service.) Anywhoo... I'll keep looking

7. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Just a thought....
    Students are always looking for fast ways to make cash right?
    Design and assemble a few examples then hire some kids and show them a video on how to do it.
    Provide them with the materials to complete how ever many you need and pay by the piece.

mimi

8. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    To build on that thought you could also look at shelterd work shops for people with disabilities. They do a lot of contract assembly work and are very precise in the work. Plus you get to support people in need.

David

flipflopgirl likes this.
  9. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    This post is for a family member who thinks I am nuts.
    So I am editing to add.... buy the box and lids already cut and assemble like the pizza places do.
    The cost per piece will still be way affordable and the finished boxes still special.
    :p

mimi

10. tralfaz

tralfaz

Exp:
    Take the folding white boxes (that I already have) and decorate them (is that what you mean?). That's an interesting idea.

11. azenjoys

azenjoys

Exp:
    Pastry Chef
    When I was figuring out packaging for my caramel candy gift boxes about a year and a half ago, it seemed like most of the fancier candy/chocolate packaging was proprietary or required minimum orders I was *definitely* not prepared to meet. I settled on using off-the-rack boxes (which come flat packed and I assemble myself) and then making my own box wrappers, embellishments, and labels. I like the look I ended up with, it fit my price range, and I feel like I have a lot of flexibility for customization for different holidays/corporate gifting clients etc.

I get boxes from www.clearbags.com - they don't have nearly as many options as papermart, but their customer service is amazing and they will send you free one piece samples of anything you want - which has saved me a ton of money in terms of figuring out what sizes work best, since I tend to need to see and feel actual products to decide what I like. Almost all of their boxes are fda compliant - even the ones that are not listed in the food box section of the website. They also give nice bulk discounts so you pay less per each as you buy more.

I make my box wrappers from fine and wrapping papers I get at Paper Source. I use a cheapo paper cutter I got as a gift many years ago. I buy blank vellum or kraft labels (also from Paper Source) and then design my own text and just print them off on a standard consumer printer.

The best investment I made for packaging was this: https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/machines/cameo
    It's basically a consumer grade die cutting machine that was designed for scrapbookers - but I use it to cut my smaller packaging items and to make all kinds of cute little embellishments for gift box packaging (think, like, little mitten gift tags during the winter, or custom square envelopes and cards, even custom logo cutouts). There is definitely a learning curve involved with the design software and the machine is not cheap (around $250 -$300) but it has allowed me to make really nice, custom, personalized stuff out of relatively cheap raw materials without a lot of labor.

My best advice on packaging is to give yourself plenty of time to figure out what works and to think strategically about how much labor will realistically be involved in producing your packaging items if you are going to do part of the labor of making them. There will be a million tiny frustrations along the way.. issues with your printer, figuring out the right type of glue to use, etc. so expect that going in. I also recommend knowing exactly what type of info you need on your labels before you start imagining what you want your packages to look like.

Here are some pictures:

Clear pillow boxes with fine paper inserts and clear vellum labels (labels are stuck to the paper inside the box). There is an additional label on the bottom of the back (not pictured) with state required info for cottage producers.

IMG_1635.JPG IMG_1391.JPG

Stationary boxes with fine paper over-wraps, custom cut (using my die cutter) mini envelopes and cards, and some other embellishments (wood snowflakes I got in bulk on Amazon, wax seals I make using glue gun wax and a custom logo logo seal I ordered on Etsy for about 20 dollars). Labels on these are kraft to match the box and stuck on the back (not pictured)

IMG_1808.JPG

More stationary boxes with a bunch of different papers/ribbons, also with kraft labels on the back
    IMG_2011.JPG

Really nice four tier step display boxes in two sizes - I got them from a supplier in Las Vegas that makes amenity boxes for hotel chains. They were the only company I could find who were willing to sell them to me by the each - I found them selling prefilled boxes on Amazon and just called them to see if they would sell empty ones to me directly. Not cheap. I can look up their contact info in my email if you'd like. Ribbon and embellishments I added myself.

IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1638.JPG

Best of luck!
    - Addie

LlewellynCooks and drirene like this.