Newsletters help.....

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by cakerookie, Mar 10, 2006.

1. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Anyone got some sites or information on newsletters? Never done one before and really don't know whats involved. Where do you get information to go in them? What should they contain? Any help appreciated in advanced.Thanks

2. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Can you provide more information? Usually when someone wants to create a newsletter, they already have an idea of who the audience is and where the material is going to come from. Who is your audience and what is the intent of the newsletter? Will you be creating it yourself or do you have someone else in mind?

3. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    mudbug I will be doing it myself. Its for my organization that I just put on line.I guess the audience would be anyone who likes to cook or is interested in becoming a chef. The organization is aimed at education through information. I do not have a whole lot there right now because I am new at this and not sure about copyright laws and all that other legal stuff. The intent would be to give information on upcoming events and various course information offered at selected culinary schools around the country.

4. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    If you're helping schools bring in students and publicizing events by passing along information regarding titles, dates and times, then listing them shouldn't be a problem. If you're worried about copyright, the only way to be sure is to contact the schools and sources you intend to use and you'll quickly get an idea of what is ok and not ok. If you're wanting prewritten articles then you're obviously going to have to check with the original author or source for permission.

5. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Ouch, this might be more than I bargained for. I have 2 schools in mind to focus on right now. As far as prewritten articles I don't know. Kind of hoping I would get some volunteers to submit their articles instead of having to ask for them. I could write my own which I have already done. But it would be good to have various ones on different subjects. Better research this a little more. Thanks for the help...

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I currently write a monthly newsletter for my temple (i.e., a volunteer organization). I used to write a weekly one for 1700 teachers, and there've been others. I have to tell you it's nerveracking if you can't people to submit their content on time. You end up being a nag or a mother hen. If your goal is to get people to participate by submitting articles, I suggest you recruit a "crew" of people who commit to sending in things ON TIME. Do not try to cast your net at random and hope someone will step up and write something.

If you're doing most of the writing yourself, build a file of topics or articles you write that could be dropped into the layout when you need something, sort of like filler but still useful content.

7. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    mudbug,mezzaluna thanks for the tips I will have to do somemore digging but you have helped a lot..