Newby Baker

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by texast2005, Nov 17, 2005.

1. texast2005

texast2005

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hello all,

Pretty neat site. Anyhow, I have been making this basic french bread recipe I got from my sis a couple years ago. I pretty much have it perfected by now. Some friends of mine have opened a coffee shop in town and asked if I would bake bread for them to serve sandwiches. I agreed and picked up a half size convection oven and the bread is terrific. Folks really love the sandwiches. I could use some advise on trying out some different breads and such. I make some pretty mean muffins, cookies and pies. However I don't really have much experience with breads other than my quick french bread. Any suggestions on what would be good for a deli type application? I don't have enough understanding about working bread dough as far as gluten and proofing and such. I feel a bit overwhelmed.:confused:

2. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace :)

Bread, in its infinite varieties, presents a never ending learning experience. There are many yeast obsessed souls here who are ready willing and able to answer questions.

The first thing I would suggest is that you get your hands on a copy of The Bread Baker's Apprentice, but Peter Reinhart. The book does a great job of explaining bread concepts while exposing you to a huge variety of breads.

Ask away!

Kyle

3. texast2005

texast2005

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Actually, I have been to your site and intend to get that book very soon. I guess then I will have plenty of questions. BTW, I love your site. Your bread looks awesome. I will be
    giving it a more thorough look as well.

I would really like to get the most variety of breads I can out with the limited capacity that I must work with for now. Perhaps attract some more patrons, who will hopefully become regulars. We have allready gained a few and it seems to be growing. We actually had our first large order placed a day in advance today. This is pretty exciting for me. Hopefully I will get to the point where I can expand my equipment and do more.
    I would even like to be able to start baking a few of my italian dishes, among other things. We don't yet have that capability though and our finances will not allow it just yet.

Thank you, and I am sure I will have plenty of question in the near future.