Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by ajinnc, May 4, 2002.

1. ajinnc

ajinnc

Hello everyone! You will probably be hearing from me often. I have been a cook (never considered myself a chef) for about 14 years (I am 30), but have recently taken a turn to the sweeter side of our business. I have taken a more than healthy interest in pastry arts and chocolate. I have some questions about chocolate (by the way, W.DeBord has been helping me in another forum and has turned me on to cheftalkcafe). I am in NC and was wondering about suppliers for candy and chocolate supplies. I know about sugarcraft, but I was wondering about other places. Also if anybody has any suggestions for a good book for me to learn chocolate techniques (especially tempering), I would appreciate it. I've been playing around with a lot of different chocolate things (molds, fillings, truffles) and want to take it to the next level. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Keep it Sweet :D

2. mbcakes

mbcakes

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi,

I'm pretty new here but I've already learned alot from the people on this board. WDeBord also turned me onto this site. I don't know much about chocolate but I definitely suggest taking some time and looking over older posts because there's alot of great info there. Happy reading!

3. kimmie

kimmie

One book I would recommend is Chocolate Passion: Recipes and Inspiration from the Kitchens of Chocolatier Magazine
    by Tish Boyle, Timothy Moriarty

I also purchase Chocolatier Magazine on a regular basis.

BTW, I would consider classes as the next level!

Welcome to Cheftalk, AJinNC. I look forward to your posts ;)

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to Chef Talk, AJinNC. You've landed in a great place with great people! We'll look forward to your questions and your contributions.

5. isa

isa

Welcome to Cherf Talk AJinNC!

Check out The Art Of Chocolate by Elaine Gonzalez, The Chocolate Bible by Christian Teubnerand and Chocolate by Nick Malgieri.

6. w.debord

w.debord

To all of my freinds here: AJinNC was looking for advice and at the other site were we met. Someone told him that Merkins chocolate was the way to go. That it tastes EXACTLY as good as real chocolate...no one will notice your using Merkins.....

I e-mailed AJ to help explain that if your opening a chocolate shop you need to use REAL chocolate.

So I suggested he come here and get some advice from people that are professional and serious foodies. I think he needs real links to manufactures in his area and probably some opinions on brands for value yet quality, etc...

I hope you all will help? Or at the least give your opinions on Merkins vs. real chocolate.

I have Elaine Gonzalez' book "The Art Of Chocolate" too but I don't think it contains enough, or at least it pales to her other book. She published a first book called "Chocolate Artistry" published in 1983 by Contemporary Books, Inc (they are in Chicago). I think this book is the BEST source I've ever seen on decorated chocolate (but it's not fine art chocolates it's retail party selling items). Plus I feel a personal link to this because the women she learned from I'm very familar with (she's the leading candy shop in the northwest Chicago area) I've spent a little time at her shop picking up orders and talking, Eva Meyers. The book I'm recommending is really an exact copy of Eva's life work and candy shop. Her candy is OUTSTANDING! See if you can find this thru a out of print book source, I promise it could darn near put you in business, BUT it's mainly molded and decorated chocolates.

For truffle work....I can't recall the name but there is currently a chocolate book at the book store....maybe "Chocolate Masion...?" I hope one of you know the name. The title threw me cause I thought is was on a french pastisery but it was almost all truffles. I thought it looked very nice and I would definately check out that book.

My last book pick is "Candymaking" by Ruth A. Kendrick & Pauline H. Atkinson, published by HP books, 1987. It's a small non-impressive looking book but I've made several items from it that were outstanding.