newbie san mai knife blade question

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by anton kudris, Sep 26, 2013.

1. anton kudris

anton kudris

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Hello!

Not a long time ago I've bought Shigeki Tanaka 150mm petty on ebay. It was  said to be san mai Damascus knife with VG10 core.

What caught m
    y attention is how the blade looks like near the handle:

It's not that obvious from picture, but in real life there can be clearly seen a core of much darker steel.

Am I right in assuming that different colored core is VG10? If so, why is it so badly centered?

2. anton kudris

anton kudris

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Thanks for reply, Benuser! 

My lens doesn't allow focusing closer then half a meter, so I can't take any decent macro shots of blade. This one is probably the best I can do:

As I've started learning cooking only very recently, I decided to start with stainless. Most probably, at some point later I'll buy carbon knife mostly out of curiosity, not because I need it (2 petty and gyuto soon to arrive are more then enough).   

As for this Takana knife I tend to like it. Wasn't really impressed with fit and finish (compared to fancy Hattori HD), but the cutting performance is the best among anything I used so far. And for some reasons that I don't really understand, it's easier to sharpen and feels better then Hattori on the stones.