Newbie here from Canada

Joined Sep 18, 2019
Hello from Canada.

I've spent my whole career cooking in schools and/or daycares. Not so much cooking from scratch, more heat and serve. I am an avid cook at home though.

I recently retired (freedom 55) but quickly got bored when the grand kids hit school age. I am now back in the workforce, part-time cooking at a residential rehab facility (scratch cooking). I'm a bit out of my comfort zone, and hoping to get some advice from this forum.

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Greetings, eh!

If you think about it as an opportunity to learn, you'll do great.

Unless your cooking at home was also heat and serve, you know more about scratch cooking than you think you do. If the poutine gravy is too thick at home it is probably too thick for the rehab facility also!

Good luck!

Joined Sep 18, 2019
Thanks for the encouragement. My biggest issue right now is the cleanliness of the kitchen, coming from cooking for children which is highly regulated and inspected ever 3 months. The kitchen looks presentable at first glance, but looking into the fridge and storage area, I'm really struggling. I often go in an hour early on my own time just to give it a wipe down. Its disgusting imo. The fridge smells, there is food spills on the racks and bottom. The head chef doesn't see a problem. It does get inspected but only once a year, and I wasn't there for that inspection.

Top Bottom