Newbie here. Can you help me with this recipe...

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by Jwalter007, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Jwalter007

Jwalter007

Exp:
    hobbiest
    I've been trying to create something that is kind of a cross between a cookie/brownie/bar.
    I want low/no carbs, no sugar and fat content isnt a concern.
    I would like to use coconut and cocoa butter and erythritol as the sweetener.
    I've been experimenting with different recipes but I dont' really know the science so I'm floundering around a bit. I'd love some guidance to point me in the right direction.

Here's what I've been doing so far. My first attempt was
    Unsweet coconut flakes
    unsweet chocolate
    whey protein powder
    Heavy cream
    erythritol/stevia
    water
    baked on 200 for 20 mins

Then I tried pretty much the same but subbed chocolate and butter for cocoa butter and cocoa powder and it got oily
    Then I tried adding some coconut flour but that made it dry and grainy like sand

I'm trying to make it harder than it was at first and wanted to not use chocolate.
    I wasnt using the cocoabutter as a liquid. I added it to the food processor as a solid. My thinking was that it would melt i the oven then harden when it cooled making acting like a binder and hardener.

I think I may be not even close. I know there is some major science involved in baking. I've been trying to teach myself...
    Thanks

2. Wilson Slader

Wilson Slader

Exp:
    Chef
    Not a bad start but I can give a few simple tips. You wont be needing water, this will just dilute the flavor and make it thin. Also I would substitute peanut butter, almond butter or cashew cream for the heavy cream, it binds with the other ingredients better and adds more nutrients. here would be a simple sugar free, healthy protein bar:

1 Cup Coconut Flakes
    1 Cup Chocolate (melted, microwave works)
    1-2 tablespoon Whey protein powder
    1/2 cup nut butter
    I would also add about 1 cup of some sort of Puffed Grain (instead or oats which have carbs). These can be found near other cereal at the grocery store. This will add volume and texture to the bars.
    Also about 1/4 or 1/2 cup of almond milk/cream
    and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Mix all of these ingredients until well combined. Then spray a baking pan or casserole dish with no stick spray, or just oil and press the mixture into the pan. flatten it and put in the fridge until it is hard. Cut them into desired shapes, wrap them individually and store in your fridge. Let me know if this makes sense and if you have questions. there are many recipes online that are more descriptive.
    https://thebigmansworld.com/2017/08...-protein-bar-recipes-paleo-vegan-gluten-free/

3. Jwalter007

Jwalter007

Exp:
    hobbiest
    Thanks for the response. I checked out your blog. Its great. I love the 1 minute videos :)
    I'm trying to make something that does not require refrigeration. If I am correct, I think the no bake recipes all need to be refrigerated, but a baked product like a cookie does not.
    I'll use some of your tips. thanks