Newbie from Central Illinois

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by risa, May 11, 2001.

1. risa

risa

Hello everyone! I don't quite know how I stumbled on this site but it's absolutely terrific. I work in information systems, but my real passion is food, especially pastry arts. I read far more cookbooks than computer books. I don't do as much baking as I used to because everyone I know thinks I'm evil for tempting them with calorie-filled pastries. I also had to temporarily leave my Kitchen Aid mixer with my mom and baking is not the same. I've started filling in the gap by cooking more on the grill, something I never did much of until now.

2. pooh

pooh

Hi Risa and welcome to Cheftalk!

Seems that I arrived at Cheftalk stumbling through the same door as yours!

I also read far more cookbooks than law books!

I just love it here and hope you will feel the same way I do!

:) :D

P.S.: Pastry Arts is probably my very favorite as well!

[ May 11, 2001: Message edited by: pooh ]

3. risa

risa

Even though I'm in Central Illinois at the moment, I'm actually Canadian like you, Pooh! Or I assume you're Canadian since you're in Montreal. My hometown is Vancouver and I miss it very much because the food and selection of food is wonderful over there. The same can definitely NOT be said for Springfield,IL!

4. pooh

pooh

I am Canadian, Risa.

How far are you from Chigaco! That's a nice foodie city!

:p

[ May 11, 2001: Message edited by: pooh ]

5. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

Risa,
    I'm in Springfield Illinois too!!!! I know exactly what you mean, the sources here are limited. Pooh's suggestion is a good one, Chicago is a great foodie city. Welcome to the boards. I'm a newbie as well, I look forward to reading your posts.

Svadhisthana

6. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Risa,

and welcome to the wacky world of Cheftalk :)
    Enjoy
    cc

7. risa

risa

Springfield is about a 3 1/2 hour drive to Chicago and I do like restaurants in Chicago although I don't go very often. It's about an hour to St. Louis, but I haven't quite discovered great food there yet. I do like Ted Drewe's Frozen Custards though.

Svadhistana: I better be careful how much I post ;) You may work for the state also and realize that I spent all day in ChefTalk instead of working.

8. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

Risa,
    You have nothing to worry about. truuuuuuuust me. *maniacal laughter*

just kidding, I don't work for the state. I look forward to getting to know you better. Maybe we can meet and go on a Springfield foodie trek.

p.s. Try Sen in downtown St. Louis. It's a fairly new Thai place. Unfortunately St. Louis has mostly chain restaurants like Friday's and Chiles.

Svadhisthana

9. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey you two have to check out shroomgirl.

She lives in St louis and runs one of the best farmers markets in the states.

If you go to saucecafe.com you can get a better idea of whats happining in those necks of the woods

cc

10. isa

isa

Welcome Risa nice to meet you.

11. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hi Risa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

12. mofo1

mofo1

Hi Risa. I'm just up the road from you a piece. I'm in Galesburg. 32 miles northwest of Peoria. Welcome to Chef Talk.

13. kimmie

kimmie

Hello Risa and welcome to Cheftalk Cafe.

Hey cc, it's funny, as I was reading this thread, I was just thinking that since Shroom lives in St.Louis these girls could hook up with her at the Farmer's market! Then I saw your post :(

:confused:

14. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome, Risa, from a native Illinoisan. I grew up in the Quad Cities and went to ISU. I agree that you are in what I've known to be culinarily unimaginative territory! I haven't been to Springfield for many years, but I'm betting you are challenged to use the local produce (corn, soybeans, pork, pumpkins) to make some creative dishes.

15. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I knew my nose was itching for some reason....
    Umm Ok to disspell a couple of myths.
    1) www.saucecafe covers the Clayton Farmer's Market they have pics as well as copies of different meals in our Farmer-Chef Dinner Series. They also cover great restaurants in St. Louis.

2) Fridays and Chains....grosssss. OK check out Clayton restaurants. The Crossing has chefs that have worked at Daniels in NYC.
    Mira's chef worked with Trotter.
    Doug Knopp at the Westin downtown worked at Four Seasons in Toronto (or was it Montreal?)
    We have "The Hill" which is authentic Italian...some mammas still speak Italian in the small Italian grocery storee, Volpi meats some of the best proscuitto in the world is produced here. South Grand has Ethnic...Thai, Veitnamese, French, Guatimalian, etc...restaurants.
    Annie Gunns does incredible charcuterie.
    Zoe's, Manee Thai and Nippon Tei are wonderful and Beautiful restaurants.
    3) Our farmer-Chef series starts May 21 at Cafe Provencal in Clayton. Ed Neill is featuring Edgar Farms Fat Free Beef.
    4 course, $50 half coming back to the market.

I do not find this a food wasteland. If you wanna take back incredible local organic foods come hang out at the Clayton Farmer's Market Sat. mornings 8-noon. Cooking demos, chef tours, incredible omelets. Come say Hi.
    If your looking for food in Springfield check out your farmer's market or as I recall you have a pretty good Healthfood store with a super deli section.
    Check out your dept of Ag's listing for local you pick it farms...you are in a great area....explore.
    PS I hunt morels and chantrelles and Illinois is one of THE best places for morels in America.
    CC you sweetie, thanks.

16. papa

papa

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hello Risa and Welcome to the Chef Talk Cafe!

:)

17. risa

risa

I don't think the area is a food wasteland.. just not very many good restaurants in Springfield. I do quite well for finding exotic and/or fresh ingredients, but I'd like to go out to eat sometimes and get inspiration. I was very spoiled with the great yet still reasonable-priced restaurants back home in Vancouver. I do know that there are some very good restaurants in St. Louis, but I mostly just go to St. Louis to catch a plane.

Svadhisthana: we should go on a foodie trip to St. Louis instead!

18. marzoli

marzoli

Helloooo from across the Mississippi in Southeast Missouri! I am also chatting when I should be . . . working . . . but, hey, the kids are watching a film . . . and ChefTalk is SO much FUN! :D

Shroomgirl: We were in St. Louis Saturday for the Van Gogh exhibit--went over to Delmar to Blueberry Hill--wanted very much to find your market, but time did not permit. However, I have been promised a trip there later this summer. Gotta get school out first!

19. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

True, there would be much more to do in St. Louis. I haven't been down since last July. I want to check out the farmer's market too.

Svadhisthana

BTW, our Farmer's Market downtown is on Saturdays and Wednesdays thruout the summer, beginning at the end of this month. The healthfood store is Food Fantasies Naturaly on Wabash.