New

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by monkey34, Jan 23, 2017.

1. monkey34

monkey34

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    HI I have inherited a small bistro and need HELP HELP HELP

first is my chief takes what ever food she wants home telling me it is a chef privilege

is this correct

Thanks

Michelle

2. harmony748

harmony748

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    that should definitely not be the case.... you should definitely start looking for a new head chef. that could mess up your food cost, inventory and such. are you in an area that has a good job market?

3. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have never run a run or owned a restaurant but have owned a business.  Your chef it most likely trying to take advantage of the situation of a new owner.  You need to get control of the situation ASAP.  Explain to your chef that you do not know what the arrangement was with your (father, uncle, grandmother, or whomever you inherited this business from) but this will not longer be allowed.  Then you need to watch him like a hawk for the next time he steps out of line.  If he continues to try to take advantage of the situation, fire immediately and promote next in line.  You are in a very tough spot if you have no experience in the industry.  If you do not/can not get up to speed quickly, or have no desire to do so then you should start looking at option for selling the business immediately.

4. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Your chef is a thief. She is stealing from you. Get rid of her right away. 

First rule. No one holds you hostage. You're the boss. If you can't cook, learn fast.

Put a sign in the window, newspaper, ask other restaurant owners for someone to help fill in.

If you're in upstate ny, I'll do the job. 

But the chef is stealing. They leave right now.

5. edka115

edka115

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    welcome 

6. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    If I'm understanding right, you inherited a small bistro that you were not aware of getting? How does that happen?

If you have no understanding of the business, the first thing I would do before entering the business is to immediately release yourself from any and all liabilities legally.

Contact the businesses accountant. If the business is showing any type of profits, take those monies and buy yourself some experienced advice.

Personally, the actions of the Chef would be way down on my list of priorities. If you intend to walk in cold and solo, be prepared for anyone associated with the business, personnel, vendors, etc. to try you at least once. Professional/experienced advice is critical. Every time an adverse event occurs and you don't address it immediately, you give up power. Hesitate to address it and it becomes law. "well you let suzie do it" "we've always done it before" etc.

You didn't inherit a bistro, you inherited a job. Your job is to educate yourself and take full control. Once you accomplish that, then you inherited a bistro.

Best of luck,

ChefTalk was a good decision. There is a lot of business knowledge floating around.

edit: BTW, yes, harsh, I know. I just don't think you are in a position right now for nice-nice. Food related businesses can go south in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017